Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years of experience including dogs, cats, and pocket pets

My 7 week old puppy started throwing up yesterday after she

My 7 week old puppy started throwing up yesterday after she was let out of her crate. I think the crate scares her. Could she be scared enough to throw up? I hope thats all thats wrong its just like water when she throws up and she immediately acts ashamed about it trying to hide and scratch on the floor. Please help.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Matt :

Hello - I am Dr. Matt - Is she eating normally? How often is she vomiting?

Customer:

she is eating normally but we have switched her food over she is playful and only seems to vomit when we scold her or put her in the crate

Dr. Matt :

Ok - Does she have any diarrhea? Did you gradually switch her food to the new food?

Customer:

she does not have diarrhea but we switched her food over quickly because the food she was eating we were told was bad for her

Dr. Matt :

Ok - did she vomit before switching her food?

Customer:

no but we have only had her for three days and it started when we took her out of her crate when she was whimpering more than usual

Dr. Matt :

Most dogs do not vomit from being upset, though a lot of stress can cause an upset stomach. About 80% of the time, vomiting in a younger dog is related to their diet or something that they ingested out of the ordinary. What food did you switch her to?

Customer:

we switched her to Bil Jac and she seems to love it... is the scratching and trying to hide after she vomits a sign she was upset?

Dr. Matt :

Bil Jac is a very good diet - good choice! Many dogs will try to cover up areas of vomit so she probably is doing what is natural. The hiding is unusual, I do believe she is unsure why she is vomiting and it makes her feel uncomfortable - she may feel scared because she is unsure why it is happening also. I do not think crating her is causing the vomiting, most likely she has an upset stomach which should improve very soon. I would suggest feeding her some blander food for a couple of days to help with her vomiting.

Dr. Matt :

The most common way to give her some bland food would be to feed her some boiled ground beef or boiled chicken breast and mix this with some rice. Two parts rice to one part meat. You can also add some of the Bil Jac food to the mix to gradually get her used to the new food. Even thought the food is very good her stomach may not have been completely ready for it.

Customer:

ok thank you we were just upset and knowing how leathal parvo is but we know thats not the situation she has not been out of the house unless she is in our arms untill she gets all of her shots. thanks again doc and miss sophie says thanks too.

Dr. Matt :

Tell Miss Sophie she is very welcome! Best Wishes with your new pup.

Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience: 11 years of experience including dogs, cats, and pocket pets