CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

What is the normal insulin level in dogs

Customer Question

Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Are you referring to the normal amount of insulin to give a diabetic dog?

-
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I am asking what the normal range of insulin production is in dogs. My dog has 43,. Is this high?
Why was this level performed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Because his glucose level was low normal [which it always is] =66. But his liver enzymes are high -- 400. His liver is OK on ultrasound, so the vet [not my regular vet, I am out of town] thought it might be a pancreatic tumor. She said the insulin level came back 43 and this indicates a tumor. What is the normal insulin level and does this, necessarily indicate a tumor.
Hi there,

The insulin level will fluctuate over the course of the day in response to the blood sugar.

What your veterinarian is referring to is the insulin to glucose RATIO.

What this means is that if the glucose is LOW, the insulin should be low (as insulin drops the glucose level).

If the glucose is high, insulin should be high.

If this glucose is LOW and the insulin level is normal to HIGH, this is an inappropriate body response and is consistent with an insulin producing tumor of the pancreas, called an insulinoma.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My original question is what is the normal insulin range in dogs. My regular vet says the ratio doesn't matter; it's whether the insulin level is high. I would like to know the regular insulin level range so I can determine for myself if 43 is high -- just for insulin, not for ratio.

Hi there,

We do NOT look at one single value.

In people and dogs, the insulin level changes every minute.

Your veterinarian is not correct. It is NOT the individual value, but the RATIO of the value in relation to the glucose.

This is the reason an insulin:glucose RATIO is required for this diagnosis.

You can NOT evaluate the insulin level alone, isolated, without the combination of the glucose value at the EXACT time the bloodwork was performed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I still would like the know the normal range of insulin values in dogs. If you don't answer this, you have not answered my original question.

The normal range is 70 to 100 mg/dL (or 5 to 20 uL), but again - I am trying to be very complete for you and letting you know that the number itself means very little without comparison to the glucose.

CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Vet seemed very rigid and discounted the information that I received from a first-rate vet. I would like to ask another question, please.
I am happy to continue to help.

I am not discounting any information, but as a board certified specialist I am trying to provide the most appropriate and helpful information for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. The glucose value was 66. I assume this was 66 mg/dL and the insulin level was 43 but is this also mg/dL or mg/uL. And does the insulin seem high with this ratio.
You will need to look at the paperwork. I can not assume the mg/dl or ug/dl.

Without that information - we can not guess as to the level.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
You are very welcome.