CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My 12 year old female Pomeranian is losing her hair in patches.

My 12 year old female Pomeranian is losing her hair in patches. It starts with a black coarse scab which gets matted in the hair. She doesn't seem to be in any pain...but she has been such a beautiful dog over the years...is there any cure for this advanced age problem? Thanks
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Where on the body are the hair loss patches?

Is she scratching at these patches?

Under the hair loss, is the skin red? darker? scabs?

-
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
On her rear back is a large patch...now two new smaller area have started...on rear leg and near front leg.

She is not scratching at areas.

Skin under where scabs are is pinkish
See attached photo

Thanksgraphic
That is a great picture! VERY helpful!

I was thinking this would be a endocrine alopecia - common in this breed.

NOT what your picture is showing.

This is more indicative of a deep skin infection (pyoderma) otherwise called a moist dermatitis.

This conditionl although at times related to many factors is commonly caused by allergies.

Since allergies are commonly found in these cases, I would recommend starting an antihistamine, Benadryl - The dose will be 1mg for every 1 pound of body weight. For example, a 25 pound dog should receive 25mg of benadryl. You can start and then give a dose every 8 to 12 hours thereafter. Please be certain it is the product consisting of only Diphenhydramine and DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY OTHER INGREDIENTS SUCH AS A DECONGESTANT.

Along with benadryl it is recommended to clean the area itself. If possible, shaving with clippers (not scissors) is recommended to remove hair and debris. Please do not use scissors as you can accidentally cut the skin.

Then I would recommend purchasing a Chlorhexiderm shampoo, or other type of antibacterial shampoo from your local pet store to wash and scrub the area.

If she is licking the area, getting an e-collar from the pet store is also recommended to prevent further self-trauma. The E-collar should be used until the skin is healed which may take 7-10 days.

Once cleaned, you can use topical neosporin on the area twice daily.

If the skin does not heal well, or looks worse with the therapy above, there are times when a dog will need systemic antibiotics, which you can discuss with your veterinarian...

But i hope the above information is helpful in making your dog feel better!
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

You can always request me through my profile (HERE) or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet

CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist