ER Vet
ER Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a veterinarian in general and emergency practice for 21 years caring for all types of family pets.

why is my dog running outside to eat grass as fast as she

Customer Question

why is my dog running outside to eat grass as fast as she can
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  ER Vet replied 2 years ago.

ER Vet :

Hello, I'm Dr. XXXXX XXXXX and I'd like to help! I just need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. Is she trying to vomit or licking frantically?

ER Vet :

Has she been recently chewing on anything like a rawhide, nylabone or other toy? Is she gagging?

Customer :

no rawhide or any other bones or toys. She has gagged once but i think it was bc she was drinking water too fast. She is frantically looking for grass to eat. I just made her come in and she is now laying down on the tile floor.

Customer :

No licking just panting but seems to be calming down a little

ER Vet :

I sometimes see this with dogs who either have an upset stomach or irritation of their throat. I find it best to confine them to a crate (or kitchen) with no access to grass or even rugs or fabrics because sometimes they will go for that

ER Vet :

Often times this behavior will subside over 20-30 min, an hour at the longest. IF it continues or if she becomes uncomfortable, starts retching or trying to vomit continuously, she should go to the ER. MY dog used to do this every once in a while and I never found out the trigger but he would get better given a little time.

Customer :

ok i think she is getting better. Thank you so much for your help.

ER Vet :

You're welcome. Its scary when they do strange things!

Customer :

she is frantically licking now. Think i will go to the er. Think so?

Expert:  ER Vet replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  ER Vet replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry I was offline when you got back on last night. I hope she is ok. Please let me know what happened.