Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience including dogs, cats, and pocket pets
58825837

my dog is losing hair and has what looks like dandruff

my dog is losing hair and has what looks like dandruff?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Matt :

Hello - I am Dr. Matt - Is your lab itching?

Customer:

ye she is

Customer:

the hair loss has gotten worse and worse

Customer:

she acts miserable

Dr. Matt :

Do you see any fleas? Where is she losing hair?

Customer:

no fleas at all,,, alot of hair loss around neck and ablve hind legs

Customer:

lots of dandruff-like flakes also

Dr. Matt :

Is there a lot of redness or sores? Has she ever had skin problems before?

Customer:

neither

Customer:

we moved to maine from florida last august- thought it was weather related but this just started a few weeks ago

Customer:

her diet is same- eukanneuba food...she drinks LOTS of water

Dr. Matt :

Ok - thanks - Do you have her on any flea prevention? I'm sure with living in Florida before you are very familiar with fleas. Does she play with other dogs often? Ok is she also urinating a lot?

Customer:

she was on regular advantix and just changed a few days ago to the one for ticks also since we now live near woods......actually today she has urinated less than normal

Dr. Matt :

Is she panting a lot? Has she had any recent bloodwork performed? Have you given her anything for the itching?

Customer:

she does not play around other dogs and we watch her when she goes outside to potty to insure no other animals around

Customer:

yes, lots of panting,,,,, i thought arthritis related? no nothing yet for itching.....

Customer:

i havent taken her to a vet here yet as hard to find an affordable one in maine!

Customer:

yea!!!!!! she just pottied!!! LOL

Customer:

her hair actually is coming out in tufts also, not just from brushing....

Customer:

if you rub her or scratch her it comes out

Dr. Matt :

I understand - quite the change in environment also! I have a couple of thoughts and suggestions for you. The itching could be caused from a couple reasons - the most common disorders are allergies, parasites and endocrine or hormone disorders. Due to a change in environment this could be related to an allergy to something outside that she may have not been exposed to before. Parasites would include fleas and mites which to me seems less likely at this point. The third possibility would be one of two disease - hypothyroidism and Cushing's disease. let me post this and then tell you more about those.

Customer:

ok

Dr. Matt :

Hypothyroidism is a low thyroid hormone which can cause significant changes ion the hair quality and with some dogs can cause itchiness. Good news is this disease is fairly easy to diagnose and very easy to treat- a thyroid supplement is given on a daily basis. Cushing's disease is a little more complicated but is basically an increase in steroid hormone in the bosy which causes hair/skin problems, panting, increases thirst and urination and usually hind leg weakness. Itching is not usually tremendous, but Cushing's can cause the immune system to weaken allowing parasites to occur and cause itchiness. I would suspect allergies first, but a skin scraping and a blood test is always a good idea to rule out these other problems.

Customer:

the cushings does seem like the culprit from what you say

Dr. Matt :

:) By the way glad to hear she pottied!

Customer:

LOL

Customer:

is there anything i can do to help relieve her symptons until i can get her to a vet ?

Customer:

r u in maine by any chance??? :)

Dr. Matt :

How much does she weigh? No pretty far away (in the midwest)!

Customer:

too much- about 110

Dr. Matt :

Do you have any regular Benadryl?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Matt :

The normal dose is 1 mg per pound so believe it or not you can give her 100 mg or 4 tablets of Benadryl every 12 hours. This usually does not make dogs very drowsy like we get, but she may be a little sleepy. You can alwasy try a lower dose to start. Hopefully this will help with her itching.

Customer:

will do- thank you SSOOOOOO much....Hayley Girl sends you a big wet lick across your face!!!!!!!! LOL

Customer:

more than happy to send my payment asap...i appreciate your input

Dr. Matt :

You are welcome! Best wishes - I do not know any vets in Maine, but I am sure you will find one that can help you.

Dr. Matt :

Thank you!

Customer:

have a gr8 nite, and again tghanks!

Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of experience including dogs, cats, and pocket pets