Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

I have just purchased a 10 week old pot-bellied pig from a

I have just purchased a 10 week old pot-bellied pig from a back yard breeder in our area. The poor thing has lice extremely bad. I have been doing some research and learned that Ivomec 1% can be given to a pot bellied pig to get rid of mites, lice and internal parasites. As there is no vet in this area that works with pot bellies, I am afraid that much of his health care will have to come from me. Would it be appropriate for me to treat my piglet with Ivomec? If so, what is the dosage and the schedule of treatment? How quickly does the treatment affect the lice? Another thought is using the human head lice treatment available at our local pharmacy. I was thinking that I could go ahead and use the headlice product if appropriate and order Ivomec online to worm him and so forth. Can you give me advice on these topics, please?

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Yes, the treatment for lice is the same as the human treatment and bathing with this will remove most of these. Bath him every week for 3 weeks. the purchase Ivomec at the farm supply or online and give an injection which will be 1 cc per 110 pounds. Since your little one is so small, the dose will probably be 0.1 -0.3 cc. You can repeat this every 6 months.

Good Luck!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am going to head to Walmart today and get the lice treatment. For verification, I will do this treatment every week for three weeks. Then for the Ivomec, the only injections I've ever given were to myself for insulin. I am assuming that it is much the same way. What type of syringe would I use and what location of the body is best for the injection?
Good for you!

The Ivomec is very thick so you will need a needle of 18-20 gauge and use a tuberculin syringe to get such a small dose. You probably have these if you are Diabetic.....this can be given in the rear thigh under the skin...pinch up the skin and place the needle in, draw back to make sure you are not in a vessel and then inject....easy...