ER Vet
ER Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a veterinarian in general and emergency practice for 21 years caring for all types of family pets.

my cat has a sore on his leg that wont heal. it has been open

Customer Question

my cat has a sore on his leg that won't heal. it has been open for a month. he took antibiotics.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  ER Vet replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Chris Smith and I'd like to help!

I just need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

Was there an injury that you know of?

Does it get better then recur?

Does he go outside?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He bit his own leg - I took him to the emergency vet who felt the lymph node near the wound, deemed it normal to slightly enlarged.

It has slowly gotten better - I left it uncovered for a day to let it "get some air" and he re-opened it. It has since remained covered at all times. That was around 2 weeks ago.

He goes outside supervised for less than 10 minutes a day.
Expert:  ER Vet replied 5 years ago.

Cats don't generally create self inflicted wounds like dogs do unless there is a reason.

I am worried there is an underlying reason for this behavior such as a cancerous growth, even though it looks like a sore or a foreign body/inflammatory reaction in the area.

I would recommend surgically removing the lesion and submitting it for biopsy.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He has severe seasonal allergies which cause the itching and biting, and I treat those with cortizone injections and daily antihistamine pills. He had a complete blood panel done at the vet in April.
Expert:  ER Vet replied 5 years ago.

Has this lesion gotten better with cortisone and antibiotics?

Typically allergic type of lesions respond nicely to those treatments.

Expert:  ER Vet replied 5 years ago.

If those treatments haven't worked a biopsy is important, especially in a 13 year old kitty.

Take care