Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

I have a dog that has a rash. can I put hydrocortisone on her

I have a dog that has a rash. can I put hydrocortisone on her without herting her?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry to hear how she is doing.
Well, with a active rash and secondary infection, you are REALLY going to what to get it evaluated by a vet, any vet, for much better supportive care.
In addition, it is critical that she doesn't lick or scratch it, as that will further irritate it.

Yes, you can apply hydrocortisone to the rash. Neosporin or other generic triple antibiotic can also be used.

Often, to resolve the rash, reduce scratching or licking, etc...you need to treat with a oral anti-inflammatory medication and/or antibiotics. That's what you'll need the vet for...

Good Luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative, so I may receive credit for the answer. Receiving feedback and bonuses is happily welcomed.
The answer provided is for information only. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination. If you have any concerns please contact your primary veterinarian, or contact an ER facility if this is an emergency. REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion.