Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  14 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog is losing weight rapidly and losing hair, what is w

My dog is losing weight rapidly and losing hair, what is wrong?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advise. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is he drinking more than usual?

3- How are his bowel movements?

4- Is he eating all of his food?

5- Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This has been going on for a little over a month. I have not seen any increase in drinking, although it is very hot here. The bowel movements are regular. He is not eating all of his food, there is usually plenty left in the bowel the next day. I have not noticed any vomiting or diarrhea.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

1- Is he getting table food?

2- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No table food...he also has been biting his back, legs, and tail

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

What is the name of the dog food you are giving him?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Alpo Come and Get It
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

The weight loss and hair loss could be directly related to poor nutrition as a result of him not eating all of his food. There could be other causes like parasite, exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, etc. But, the first place to start is making certain he is eating all of his food. This is what you can do:

1- Do not leave food out for him at all times.

2- Feed him twice a day and give him 15-20 minutes to eat all of his food, if he does not eat it, remove and offer food at next scheduled feeding.

3- Take him out for walks and stimulate him physically.

4- Make certain no one is giving table food or treats until he begins to eat all of his food.

5- Pick up in your vet's office a food that is called a/d. Add 1/2 a can of a/d to his food; this food taste really good and most dogs love it. Then, gradually wean him off the a/d.

6- Consider getting him dewormed, you can buy Fenbendazole (panacur), give it once a day at label dose for 3 days, repeat after 3 weeks.

7- If after doing the above you do not see improvement have him checked by your family veterinarian.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In what timeframe should I see improvement?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

You need to weigh him and check his weight every week. Feed him according to the label instructions on the alpo dog food. For example, if he weighs 50 lbs and you want him to weigh 60 lbs, then you feed him for a 60 lbs dog. If during 2-3 weeks you do not notice any weight gain, have him checked by your veterinarian.

Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 14 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.