Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years working as a full time veterinarian

My dogs vulva is red, irritated, and apparently itches a lot.

My dog's vulva is red, irritated, and apparently itches a lot. My vet told me to wipe it with medicated pads, but when I do that, it seems to bother her more. What should I do?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for asking your question on just answer. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

Can you tell me the name of the medicated pads please?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We used Tucks wipes.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

Thank you.

Most likely it is either a yeast infection or a bacterial infection. So, tucks will not help much.

You could try applying monistat vaginal cream (the human one) three times a day for 7 days. That should help if it is yeast.

You can also try applying neosporin triple antibiotic cream three times a day to help fight bacteria.

I would not do both at the same time because you will not know what works.

To help with the itching, and licking, give her benadryl. The dose is 1 mg per pound every 12 hours. So, if she weighs 50 pounds give her 50 mg every 12 hours.

You may also want to put an elizabethan/plastic cone collar on her so she can not lick it can make it worse. They sell them at pet stores.

If the topical treatment does not work, she will need oral antibiotics or oral anti fungal medication. Then she will need to see the vet again.

I hope this helps.