ER Vet
ER Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a veterinarian in general and emergency practice for 21 years caring for all types of family pets.
59144988

my golden retriever started limping (rear right leg) this afternoon.

Customer Question

my golden retriever started limping (rear right leg) this afternoon. it seems like it could be a mild sprain/injury. however, she just threw up and i am now concerned its something more serious. do i take her to the vet ER or wait til tomorrow when my normal vet opens and/or to see how she is. she still has slight limp.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  ER Vet replied 5 years ago.

ER Vet :

Hello, I'm Dr. XXXXX XXXXX and I'd like to help! I just need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. Is she acting sick? Lethargic?

Customer:

she seems alert but doesnt want to move much. breathing a bit heavy before she vomited. now laying down. we tried moving/flexing her leg and she didnt seem to show any sign of pain. we didnt see her get hurt, she was in our backyard and just came back to the house limping.

ER Vet :

Did she vomit once or has she tried to vomit repeatedly?

Customer:

once. she returned to house around 4 limping. ate dinner at around 7. and threw up just now (around 11).

ER Vet :

Can you look at her gums and tell me if they look pink, like bubble gum?

Customer:

they seem to be pink. i am going to compare to my other golden's gums. one second pls.

ER Vet :

Sure

Customer:

they look like my other goldens gums.

Customer:

pink

ER Vet :

Ok good.

ER Vet :

There ar en't any specific conditions that I can think of that have limping and vomiting caused by one condition. The most common things that will cause a large breed dog to limp suddenly is an injury to their anterior cruciate ligament which is in the knee. OF Couse, she could have injured herself in another way.

ER Vet :

Do you have a fenced in yard?

Customer:

yes, fenced in.

ER Vet :

Good, that way we know she didn't get hit by a car or anything. Is she resting comfortably now? or does she seem agitiated?

Customer:

she seems comfortable. she is laying on her right side (the side of leg that hurts her). my wife doesn tthink she will try to climb the stairs though. she usually sleeps upstairs with us. she seems like she wants to stay downstairs.

ER Vet :

Are you able to take her temperature? I know thats asking a lot. Not everyone is that brave but it would help me decide if she should be seen tonight. I'm thinking you should be ok waiting as long as she is not acting distressed.

Customer:

i have never taken a dogs temp. hoow do i do that?

Customer:

rectal with a human thermomenter?

Customer:

this is crazy night. i just pulled a tick off my other dog.

ER Vet :

Rectal is correct. A little lubricant such as KY or vaseline and a digital thermometer is best. Its interesting you mentioned the tick because at least in my area, Lyme disease would be a consideration.

Customer:

ok. be back. wish me luck

ER Vet :

Good luck!

Customer:

99.8 is what digital rectal just indicated

ER Vet :

Good job! Thats a little bit on the low side. Normal is 100.5 - 102.5.

ER Vet :

Normally is she a real active Golden, like most and would be eager to go upstairs?

Customer:

yes. she doesnt want to come upstairs because of her leg. she threw up upstairs but i had carried her up there.

ER Vet :

Most odgs hoever when they hurt one leg will just hold it up and act like nothing else is wrong. Is she a dog that throws up occasionally, for no apparent reason or is vomiting rare for her?

Customer:

she has eaten things in the past whch have made her throw up. but rare to have her throw up for no apparent reason.

ER Vet :

I'd love to say that she can wait until morning, it bothers me that she just wants to lay and her temperature is a little low. I think I would take her to the ER if you can. I don't want her to be in rough shape in the morning and have us miss something that is potentially serious. Sometimes a physical exam is really helpful in these situations. I can often tell, just from the exam if there is something to worry about.

Customer:

ok. better safe than sorry. thank u.

ER Vet :

You're welcome... let me know what they find. The multiple symptoms bother me and I don't want to take a chance..

Customer:

sure. how do i find u once this chat is done?

ER Vet :

This chat will be associated with your account and you will be able to access it and add additional information or follow up questions