Dr. Goodall
Dr. Goodall, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS and MRCVS
51584142

my dog appears to have pain coming from her tail/butt area

my dog appears to have pain coming from her tail/butt area and whines loudly when I try to lift her tail up to take a look. There is also a different type of smell coming from that area. Does she need emergency help?

aegoodall :

Hi there I'm Dr Goodall and I'd like to help.

aegoodall :

Impacted anal glands are a common cause of pain around the anus area.

aegoodall :

The anal glands are on either side of the anus, and produce a scenting secretion which is usually released during defecation.

aegoodall :

Sometimes the glands can become blocked and impacted. Sometimes they can actually become infected too and form anal gland abscesses.

aegoodall :

The smell - is it fishy?

Customer:

yes

aegoodall :

Right well this is very likely the cause. Its not an emergency, but is uncomfortable and the way to solve the problme is to have the anal glands expressed by your vet.

Customer:

I thought that a male dog problem.

aegoodall :

Some dogs get impacted anal glands all their life and need them to be expressed regularly. If this is the case then your vet can show you how to do it (its not difficult once you know the anatomy).

aegoodall :

No it definately affects both sexes. Both my females need theirs doing every couple of months!

aegoodall :

Sometimes it can be caused by a lack of fibre in the diet, and switching to one with a higher fibre content, or adding bran to the diet, can help.

Customer:

OK thanks for the info....I will get her to the vet in a few hours.

aegoodall :

No problem at all.