CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

We think that our dog may have eaten Decon rat poison if so

We think that our dog may have eaten Decon rat poison if so it was about 10 days ago. she is 15 lbs. and 14 yrs old. she was moving slow yesterday and can't walk today. breathing is labored. have not noticed any blood...
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

What color are the gums?

-
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
didn't look at that and the dog is at home right now I am at work
I would get your dog to the ER new.

Bleeding is often internal if this is the anticoagulant rodenticide, which is the most common D-Con.

This is the reason you dont see bleeding, the bleeding is internal and can cause the signs you report as well as be life threatening.
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
given the length of time and the age of the dog is this worth pursuing or will this just end up being a lengthy and costly effort that will not save the dog?
With timely and appropriate therapy - this can be completely resolved.

Transfusions may be needed, but this is something that can be 100% and completely reversed.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I understand but is this still true with the legth of time since the dog ate this being 10 days have a factor in the outcome?
Yes - there is no change to my information above.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
your question about the gums? what color should they be, or what am I looking for that would help to diagnose if she did eat the poison?