Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience including dogs, cats, and pocket pets
58825837

how can I treat my guinea pig at home for mites

Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Matt :

Hello - is your guinea pig itching excessively?

Customer:

more than usual...he has restful periods. has a thinning area on his side, but no irritation. also down to skin on foreleg...no irritation or redness

Dr. Matt :

Mites infestations in guinea pigs are usually very itching. Are you seeing any moving flakes (lice) on his back at all? What type of bedding are you using and how often do you change it?

Customer:

nothing moving that i can tell. Bedding changed weekly...use carefresh bedding...occassionally may go over a week for change

Customer:

actually looks like he may have something going on in ears

Customer:

not really sure about ears...may be the norm with a little dirt! haven't given a bath for about 6 months. i did find one tiny scab with a bump on one of his sides in the bald patch

Customer:

coat looks good....balding areas have some broken hair shafts

Dr. Matt :

Good on both, the bumps may be related to mites. There are no very good options for at home treatment for mites in guinea pigs unfortunately. You could try a shampoo called Lice N Easy for guinea pigs, but this will not help for mites. I would strongly recommend taking him to a veterinarian that is used to seeing guinea pigs.

Customer:

thanks

Dr. Matt :

The veterinarian will have to give him either ivermectin as an injection or selamectin to treat the mite both can be harmful if not used by someone with experience.

Customer:

okay...i'll make an appointment.

Dr. Matt :

I can always get you more information if you need more, let me know - I have two guinea pig myself and love the little guys - great pets! Good luck!

Customer:

Not trying to overstep here...but I'm an RN any chance I could dose a guinea pig?

Dr. Matt :

Are you able to get ivermectin? The ivermectin only works if giving subcutaneously.

Customer:

is that available at a feed store?

Customer:

is dose based on cavy weight?

Dr. Matt :

I would love to give you a dose, but the medication is considered off-label use for guinea pigs and the feed store kind is very strong for guineas. I definitely know you are capable to give and measure an injection, but I would have to examine the guines pig to give you a dose. I hope you understand, not trying to be difficult, but this goes against what I am allowed to do on this site. You will have to discuss this with your veterinarian. Again very sorry.

Customer:

No problem..thought I'd ask. I'll call my vet in morning. Thanks for your help!