Vet help
Vet help, Veterinarian
Experience:  9 yrs experience as small animal veterinarian; 19 yrs exp. in animal care field

My female dog is bleeding from her vagina. She has been spayed

My female dog is bleeding from her vagina. She has been spayed over 1 year ago, she is a 5 year old Schipperky mix that we got from a shelter, she was used as a puppy mill, we also believe that she was hit by a motor vehicule. She has a herniated stomach what could the bleeding be?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Vet help replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I would like to help, but will need some additional information.

How long has she been bleeding?

Can you describe what you're seeing in more detail? For instance:
Is there a lot of blood or just spotting?
Are you seeing the blood where she is sitting/ laying or after she pees?

Is she urinating more than usual?

Is she drinking any more or less than usual?

How is she doing aside from the bleeding? Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The bleeding started about 4 days ago

Its spotting it starts out a few drops that are very red and they get progressively lighter, we see the blood as she comes in from outside and as she sleeps.

Urination is same as always

She is drinking regularly (so says my wife) I think it might be less than usual.

No other symptoms

Expert:  Vet help replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

There are a couple of things that might be going on here, all of which will require a vet visit to help you sort out.

From your description, it sounds as though the spots of blood are coming from her vulva, most likely in the form of blood in her urine since the blood spots become diluted.

The spotting that you see where she's been sleeping likely occurs to some urethral sphincter incompetence. Older females that have been spayed,and especially those that had been bred prior to spay, can develop a weakness of the muscle that helps to keep the bladder closed (urethral sphincter). As a result, there can be leakage of urine from the bladder, especially when the pet is at rest and the muscles are at their most relaxed. Urethral sphincter incompetence can be treated with a medication called phenylpropanolamine daily or one called DES a couple of time per week- this is lifelong therapy.

The blood in the urine may result from a urinary tract infection (UTI), which could secondary to the urethral sphincter incompetence. Since the sphincter is open, it allows bacteria within the vaginal vault to ascend the urethra and enter the bladder to cause infection.
The UTI may also be secondary to crystals or stones within the bladder that cause irritation of the bladder wall, resulting in bleeding and increased risk of urinary tract infection.
A final possibility for blood in the urine is a tumor of the urinary bladder called transitional cell carcinoma.

Other possibilities for blood from the vulva include a vaginal infection, an infection of the small portion of the uterus that remains after spay, or a mass in the vagina.

Your girl will need to be examined by a vet and have a urinalysis done to find out if there is a urinary tract infection. Imaging of the urinary bladder (either x-ray or ultrasound) is also recommended to help rule out bladder stones or masses within the bladder or vagina.

Vet help, Veterinarian
Experience: 9 yrs experience as small animal veterinarian; 19 yrs exp. in animal care field