CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

how can i help remove water in my dogs ear

Customer Question

how can i help remove water in my dog's ear?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Is the inside of the ear red or swollen?

Is there an odor from the ear?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, the inside is red. no odor or swelling. she is just shaking her head a lot and sporatically begins scratching her hear.
With your history - the safest way for treating an ear infection in dogs is with an ear cleanser that contains acetic acid. This is part of the medication and acts as a drying agent to prevent liquid from sitting in the ear canal and making the ear infection of inflammation worse.

At your local pet store you may be able to purchase a product such as this, with common preparations being named Epi-Otic or Vet Solutions.

Do not use Q-tips! You should clean the affected ear out twice daily using only cotton balls. Q-tips can cause damage to the ear or ear drum if not used correctly and may cause pain to the point where your dog will not let you clean them anymore...

After application of the solution in the ear, use a cotton ball (not Q-tips) to rub the ear and remove excess liquid.

You can do this twice daily.

To help with the discomfort, you can try to help with the addition of an antihistamine, such as Benadryl. The dose will be 1mg for every 1 pound of body weight. For example, a 25 pound dog should receive 25mg of benadryl every 12 hours. Please be certain it is the product consisting of only Diphenhydramine and DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY OTHER INGREDIENTS SUCH AS A DECONGESTANT.

I hope this information is helpful!
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.