Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

What is the usual dosage per pound for a dog for Betamethasone

Customer Question

What is the usual dosage per pound for a dog for Betamethasone? My dog is 25 lbs. I have a dog with severe skin allergies. Is this dose given IM?

I also have a pygmy goat who injured his leg this week with excessive jumping. He is favoring that leg. Does not show any apparent breaks. No open wounds. Might I try a dose of steroid for him as well?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hello.

The typical dose is 0.25-0.5 mL per 20 lbs body weight. The injection is typically given IM and it's duration of action is ~ 3 weeks.

Personally, I would just use the Prednisone for allergies and not use the Betamethasone. We don't want to give two steroids together or there is serious risk of developing Cushing's disease.

The steroid does not help with pain, so it's not indicated for a painful leg in a goat. We would need an actual pain medication like Banamine or Buprenex.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My dog is not currently on the oral prednisone because it has not worked well in the past. I have taken him to the vet multiple times with no relief except with steroid injections. He itches the majority of the day. Would you consider it safer if he is not currently on prednisone. He has not had it in over two weeks. I usually do a three day course of prednisone 10 mg bid per my vet.

Thanks for your help.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your help. The betamethasone I have is 6mg/ml.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 years ago.
Yes it would be safer to just use the one steroid. I would still recommend Pred over Betamethasone. I would usually do a decreasing dosage by giving 1 week at twice daily, 1 week at once daily then every other day. Some may need every other day therapy for life or titrate to find the "lowest effective dose."

Most Betamethasone is 3 mg/mL. At 6 mg/mL, I would halve the dose that I gave you to 0.12-0.25 mg per 20 lbs body weight.