Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.

I am having problems with my rabbits nails. His nails are

I am having problems with my rabbits nails. His nails are really long and managing them seems impossible. I trim them every couple of weeks to take just the tips off because its so hard to get him to sit still im afraid ill cut to close. I put him outside for about an hour a day to get some digging in plus I put a cement piece in his cage to scratch on and nothing helps. He lives in a wire bottom cage. He has broken one off in the past. Recently one of his toes is really red and a little oozy. The nail is still in there but I think its loose. when I touch he dosnt seem to flintch or anything. Should I worry about this? Will the nail eventually just fall out if he disconnected it or something?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 5 years ago.

JACUSTOMER-u4sf8nl3- :

Hi, Hopefully I can help. First of all, being just on a wire bottom cage can lead to sores on his hocks and sore toes (from getting caught usually). So I would cover about half of his cage with something solid. Secondly, sounds like he should have his nails trimmed once at the vet's office so they can trim them short enough and show you how to do this. Also, they will probably have to trim off the broken nail and get him on an antibiotic for this. They will also be able to recommend a cleaning solution for you to use at home. Finally, to trim his nails by yourself may not be possible, but you can try craddling him in your arms on his back. This usually hypnotizes the bunny and they are relaxed enough for you alone to trim his nails. If this doesn't work, you'll have to have another person hold him for you while you trim. Dr. Barbara