CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My small mixed breed dog - looks like a very small fox with

My small mixed breed dog - looks like a very small fox with long legs, great for speed running, and a lithe thin physique, although very small, has runny eyes in sunny weather. She has developed a type of swelling under her right eye, under the bottom eyelash area. Its quite solid, doesn't seem painful but her eyes, as usual in sun are runny. She is fit in every other way, eating, running fast, sleeping well. But she was a bit shivery when it was at it's worse yesterday. Seem to be shrinking in cooler weather.
p.s. Your advice was absolutely fantastic re my other dog, I actually refused an op temporarily based on good advice from you and it was absolutely spot on. My dogs ''tumour'' on his lip disappeared very quickly. Thank you so much.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Is the swelling painful or warm to the touch?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. Just a sort of lump that is shrinking quickly but not completely. But she trusts me implicitly and may not flinch as I was very gentle with her. It is a solid type of lump.

Based on the location, and if this is getting better - it could be a resolving skin infection or being a bruise or even a reaction.

But - if this does not get better, the location is also suggestive of a tooth root abscess - not the tooth itself, but an infection from the tooth root.

If it does not resolve completely in 2-3 days, before the weekend It would be best to have this evaluated - especially if there is a concern it may be a tooth root infection.

Always best to take care of this now, when it is small and she is feeling well - rather than later when it may be larger or she may be sick from the growth/infection.
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.