Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

My cat is sneezing and throwing snot from her nose like water,

My cat is sneezing and throwing snot from her nose like water, last night she sneezed and coughed and wet the furniture with so much snot that she was foaming at the mouth. My other cats are getting similar symptoms.
Hi, thanks for your question. If all of the cats are appearing to be affected, then most likely there is an upper respiratory infection going on. Most likely, this is viral upper respiratory infection, which is a common issue in cats. Most of these viruses will be handled by the cat's immune system, but it is important to maintain good hydration and nutrition during this time. Good appetite can be assisted by clearing mucus from the nostrils, to allow for the smell of food to be an appetite stimulant.

Also, providing steam, by running a hot shower, can help clear clogged nasal passages.

Adding L-Lysine to the food (available in most pharmacies), at a dose of 125 mg twice a day, can help to reduce reproduction of some viruses that cause respiratory problems in cats.

Chlorpheniramine is an antihistamine that can reduce stuffiness and runny eyes, and it is regarded as safe for cats. Half of a 4 mg tablet, every 12 hours, is the usual dose given. It is available in most pharmacies in generic form.

Baby food (with NO onion or garlic in the ingredients), or fish based wet cat food, may be useful to stimulate appetite.

If at any time any of the cats stops eating altogether, then that cat may need to be hospitalized on IV fluids, to help nurse them through this issue.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The cats have had this for many years, no trouble with eating really. Is there a diease that cats get if they have not been imunnized that could cause this? I have 3 strays, 1 could have brought this into the house. What kind of meds are available that can cure this up quickly, if given to all the cats. I know that my dog gets some kind of meds up her nose when she goes to the vets. I really can't afford to take 3 cats. Can my dog and myself get this? I have also been having problems that won't go away with my upper respitory, my cats sleep and sneeze on me all the time.
One of the major vaccines we give is for upper respiratory diseases in cats. While this vaccine doesn't prevent 100% of issues, it is effective in reducing the severity of future illness in most cases. Unfortunately many cats, once infected, remain persistently infected, especially with the Herpes Virus, a common cause of respiratory problems.

It is unlikely that whatever the cats have is going to be transmissible to the dog or to you.

There is no cure for upper respiratory disease in cats, unfortunately. Supportive care is the only option. Antibiotics are sometimes useful, but not in all cases.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you you have confirmed what I thought was the case. Is there something that I can get from a pet med. company that I can treat my cats with? The female cat that I wrote you about was on a round of antibiotics for 1 month for some liver damge that she has and she got alittle better with the respitory problems during that time, but then slipped back into it after she completed the anitbiotics, so I am assuming that it is to late to clear this up with antibiotics. I there something else I can use to stop the snot problems in all the cats, so they don't slig it sround any more?
As I mentioned in my first reply to you, you can use Chlorpheniramine, which is a human antihistamine (over the counter), 2 mg per cat, every 12 hours. Also, Enisyl-F or Viralys are Lysine preparations specifically made for cats, these can be purchased online without a prescription.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank-you very much for your help!
You're very welcome - good luck and best wishes :)