CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My dog a Yorkie started making loud gasping/snorting sounds.

My dog a Yorkie started making loud gasping/snorting sounds. Sounded like he was trying to cough something up but couldn't it's happened before but nothing like this. Lasted about two minutes. Now he lethargic and his breathing seems lite and low energy.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Does the episode look or sound like this - CLICK HERE

-
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes.
Regarding the noise he is making - If it looks similar to the video above - it is likely what is called a "Reverse Sneeze"

Regarding the reverse sneeze - in a VAST majority of cases, this is thought to be cause by inflammation or irritation of the pharynx (back of the mouth). This can be worsened with cold weather leading to more inflammation and irritation.

If it becomes more frequent, some think there may be an allergic component and recommend antihistamines.

In a majority of cases with the reverse sneeze....we usually ignore it, unless it becomes more severe, worse, etc.

If it does become a concern I usually recommend Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) - the dose will be 1mg for every 1 pound of body weight. For example, a 50 pound dog should receive 50mg of benadryl. You can start and then give a dose every 8 to 12 hours thereafter. Please be certain it is the product consisting of only Diphenhydramine and DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY OTHER INGREDIENTS SUCH AS A DECONGESTANT.
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.