Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

My 9 year old labrador retriever is vomiting, can I give him

My 9 year old labrador retriever is vomiting, can I give him something for the nausea?

Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advise. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- How often is she vomiting?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Is she on any medications?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He got his evening meal and vomited, and began eating grass. I waited 35 minutes and gave him a small amount of food which he vomited again about 5 to 10 minutes after eating. He seems to be fine otherwise. He does get thyroid pills twice a day. I am just always concerned with bloat but his abdomen is not sensitive to palpation.

In cases of a bloat you would see besides the belly getting larger the dog is normally very uncomfortable. The symptoms you are describing do not sound like a bloat.

Vomiting can be caused by a simple upset stomach, dietary indiscretion, infections, inflammation, foreign body or even part of a systemic disease to name a few possible causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Start Pepcid AC 0.25-0.5mg (Famotidine) per pound body weight every 12 hours or Tagamet (Cimetidine) 0.5mg per pound body weight every 12 hours. You can find these medications over the counter in any pharmacy. Do not give pepto bismol. If you can not find these medications, leave without anything.

2- No food or water for the next 12 hours. Need to give belly time to rest or will continue to vomit.

3- After 12 hours offer a small amount of water and wait half hour, if no vomiting offer more water. If no vomiting, offer small amounts of rice (50%) and boneless (50%) chicken through out the day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above, follow up with your veterinarian.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter