Doctor Douglas
Doctor Douglas, Veterinarian
Experience:  St. George's University, DVM, Purdue University BSc Animal Science
13945838

My rabbit is quite raw under the chin and her chin gland is swollen. It looks like she has

Customer Question

My rabbit is quite raw under the chin and her chin gland is swollen. It looks like she has some genital swelling as well. She also has discharge coming out of her eyes. Her appetite seems to be fine and her pills look normal. I can't seem to find out any information about what she could have other than it could be some kind of infection. I will be taking her to the vet in the morning, but if it sounds like she has something severe, I can take her to an animal hospital immediately..
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Doctor Douglas replied 3 years ago.

Doctor Douglas :

Hello, how long has she had a swollen chin?

Customer:

We first noticed it yesterday

Doctor Douglas :

Still eating and drinking normally?

Customer:

Yes she is

Doctor Douglas :

Can you tell me about the housing you keep her in?

Customer:

Her cage is about 2ft by 5ft and it contains her litterbox and a small hutch. She is free to roam the entire house though, and has access to every room except for the bathroom and kitchen.

Doctor Douglas :

Have you ever had her teeth checked? Are you able to look into her mouth for me?

Customer:

her last vet appointment was in january and her teeth were fine. I can check now. anything in particular to look for?

Doctor Douglas :

Do her front teeth appear overgrown? Any food in the mouth?

Doctor Douglas :

Usually chin swelling, eye discharge is due to dental disease. The swelling in the mouth from an infected tooth can cause the nasolacrimal (tear) ducts to get clogged resulting in discharge from the eyes.

Customer:

no, her teeth look good and there doesn't appear to be any swelling in her mouth

Doctor Douglas :

Do you have any other pets in the household?

Customer:

no she's the only one

Doctor Douglas :

Is she rubbing at her chin?

Customer:

I've noticed that after she eats, she'll rub her chin (kind of like there's something stuck on her and she's trying to get it off). He chin is pretty raw, swollen, and it's actually bleeding a little bit

Doctor Douglas :

You also mentioned her genitals being swollen. Any discharge?

Doctor Douglas :

Has she been spayed?

Customer:

no discharge from there, and actually it looks like the swelling has gone down quite a bit. She does often have discharged from her eyes though. And that has been happening for months.

Customer:

she is spayed

Customer:

the swelling on her genitals has gone down, her chin is still the same (just to clarify)

Doctor Douglas :

ok

Doctor Douglas :

It sounds like she may be having some dental problems. The best way to have that evaluated is under sedation and have a thorough dental exam performed. Your vet may want to check for abscessed teeth, as well as, rough edges on the back molars that may need to be smoothed down.

Doctor Douglas :

I believe that she will be okay until morning, if you are planning on taking her in.

Customer:

oh great. thank you very much. I just wasn't sure if it could be something life threatening that needed immediate attention. we'll be taking her tomorrow and I'll let our vet know.

Doctor Douglas :

Great. Glad I was able to chat with you about it.

Doctor Douglas :

Any other concerns that I can help with?

Doctor Douglas :

Please let me know what you find out at your vet appointment in the morning.

Customer:

just one quick last question... is she in any pain? and is there anything we can do to a) prevent her form irritating it more and b) make her more comfortable?

Doctor Douglas :

How soon is your appointment?

Customer:

I'll be calling in the morning, so as soon as they can fit me in. They can usually see us within two days

Customer:

or the day of hopefully

Doctor Douglas :

ok, good.

Doctor Douglas :

She may be uncomfortable, but if she's still eating that is a good sign.

Doctor Douglas :

It would be best to prevent her from rubbing if you observe the behavior. Keep her chin clean.

Doctor Douglas :

What are you feeding her?

Customer:

hay (which she's munching right now), a small amount of pellets, and a big bowl of lettuces and herbs once a day

Doctor Douglas :

You can add some water to the pellets to make a slurry, which will make it easier for her to eat until you get her into the vet.

Doctor Douglas :

I'm glad she's still eating.

Customer:

I'll try that tonight. Thank you so much Dr. Douglas! I'll definitely keep you updated.

Doctor Douglas :

Great! It was very nice chatting with you. Have a good night, try not to stay up too late.

Customer:

You too! So helpful! What a great resource. Have a fantastic evening yourself!

Doctor Douglas :

What's your rabbit's name? I almost forgot to ask.

Customer:

Oh, Ezzy (short for Esmerelda)

Doctor Douglas :

Very cute. Give Ezzy a rub for me. Take care.

Customer:

will do!