Dr. Elaine
Dr. Elaine, Veterinarian
Experience:  D.V.M. 26 years of practice in emergency and general companion animal medicine, including dogs, cats, reptiles, exotic mammals, and birds

I have 3 laying hens that are on Tetracycline Hydrochloride,

I have 3 laying hens that are on Tetracycline Hydrochloride, Soluble powder
Duramycin 10
Are the eggs safe for human consumpion, we were told by feed store that it was safe to eat the eggs.
Thank you

Hi there, this is Dr. Elaine

Tetracycline does not have an established withdrawal period for EGGS, but is 4 days for the meat.

Duramycin has a withdrawal period of 18 days for egg consumption.

For either product, the cooked eggs could be fed back to the chickens before any withdrawal period is over. The decision to eat the eggs when birds have been on tetracycline is yours to make. Residue is going to be very low, but the FDA doesn't have data reflecting when (or if) the tetracycline ever clears the hen's system enough to not show metabolites in the eggs.

Additionally, for either product above, you MUST read the package of the particular product you used, as each can be slightly different, depending on the formulation.

Dr. Elaine

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

what do you mean by withdrawl period and if we only give it to them for 3 days will they have consumed enough . I have given them 1 tablespoon in 1 gallon of water they are on second course now

Withdrawal period is the length of time necessary for drug metabolites to clear either meat or eggs or milk (depending on the animal) from the time the last dose was administered.

This means if a withdrawal period for eggs is 3 days, then chickens that received a dose of antibiotics on a Monday at 5pm should not have eggs collected for human consumption until after Thursday at 5pm (AFTER a full 72 hours has elapsed).

Dr. Elaine