DrChristineM
DrChristineM, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years in small animal medicine
23497452

1. A large St. Bernard enters the veterinarians office for

Customer Question

1. A large St. Bernard enters the veterinarian's office for a routine physical examination. You as the veterinary assistant, must greet the animal and take it to the examination room. As you approach the animal, what's the first step you should take to gain its confidence?

a. Forcefully take the dog from the owner.
b. Run your hands over its body so it gets accustomed to your handling.
c. Crouch down to its level, and scratch the dog under the chin.
d. Crouch down to its level, and extend the back to hand for the dog to sniff.

2. When taking a cat's pulse, you determine that its heart beats 37 ties in 15 seconds. By calculating the heart rate, which of the following is correct.

a. 74 beats per minute
b. 111 beats per minute
c. 128 beats per minute
d. 148 beats per minute

3. To restrain cattle one at a time for examination of the head, you would use a
a cradle
b. squeeze chute.
c. hobble
d. twitch

4. The subjective information entered into the animal's medical chart using the SOAP format could include which of the following information?

a. Loose stool
b. pulse rate
c. age
d. weight

5. An instrument used to inspect the ear canal of an animal for signs of disease or foreign objects is known as a/an

a. stethoscope
b.ophthalmoscope.
c. neuro hammer.
d. otoscope.

6. Which of the following questions is an example of a nonleading question that's most appropriate during the history-taking part of the physical examination?

a. "Is Spot drinking more water then normal?"
b. "Does Dusty sleep more than before?
C. "Do you feel that Gizmo has painful leg?"
d. "When does Sophie's lameness seem to get better?"

7. Part of a veterinary assistant's client education responsibilities may include

a. Offering a preliminary pre-examination diagnosis.
b. explaining a prescription while writing it.
c. explaining the benefits of a nutritional regimen.
d. explaining the veterinarian is late because' golfing

8. Which of the following animals can be "stretched" for restraint in the same manner as a cat?

a. Piglet
b. Dog
c. Goat
d. Ferret

9. To note any additional problems an animal may have, you should conduct a/an when interviewing the client

a. body systems history
b. body systems review
c. physical examination
d. environmental history

10. Which of the following activities describes auscultation?

a. Observation of the animal's coat color
b. Determining unusual odors
c. Feeling the animal's intestines
d. Listening to the animal's heartbeat

11. Working for a veterinarian that handles mostly farm animals, you drive out to a farm to assist with a routine physical examination on several small piglets. Which of the following is the best way to catch a small piglet.

a. Use a halter and lead rope
b. Use a chute with a head catch
c. Grasp the piglet's rear leg
d. Use a hog snare

12. You're speaking with the owner of a small, brown poodle, and ask the question "Where does Cocoa scratch?" This question is a part of Cocoa's

a. integumentary systems review.
b. head-and-neck review.
c. Gl systems review
d. medical history

13. When restraining a dog for jugular venipuncture, the dog's head should be lifted so the lines of this head and neck slightly exceed a

a. 30-degree angle.
b. 45-degree angle.
c. 90-degree angle
d. 180-degree angle

14. When restraining a horse for a routine veterinary procedure, it's appropriate for the veterinary assistant to.

a. apply a twitch to the horse's ear
b. tie its tail to the side of its stall
c. hold the horse's lead rope
d. reassure the horse by lightly stroking its neck.

15. Which of the following methods is the best way to restrain a rabbit?

a. Hold the scruff while supporting the hindquarters
b. apply a collar and leash
c. Gently grasp the ears and lift
d. Grasp a hind leg

16. The tends to kick to the side, so the rear legs are often restrained during physical examination.

a. Cow
b. Horse
c. Sheep
d. goat

17. The procedure section of the SOAP format describes which of the following considerations?

a. An animal's diagnosis
b. Follow-up care for an animal
c. Laboratory results
d. An explanation of the animal's medical problem

18. The owner of a large Bulldog brings his pet to the veterinarian for a routine physical examination. You ask the question "How often do you travel with Rocky?" This question is part of Rocky's

a. integumentary systems review
b. environmental history
c. signalment.
d. body systems

19. As a veterinary assistant, you're taking a Cocker Spaniel's respiratory rate. The dog takes 11 breaths in 30 seconds. Therefore calculate the respiratory rate to be

a. 22 respirations per minute.
b. 33 respirations per minute.
c. 44 respirations per minute.
d. 60 respirations per minute.

20. A systems history about the gastrointestinal system includes questions about
a. urinating habits
b. coughing.
c. lack of balance.
d. overeating.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  DrChristineM replied 3 years ago.

1 d

2d

3b

4a

5d

6d

7c

8d

9a

10d

11c

12a

13d

14d

15a

16a

17b

18b

19a

20d

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
1. The fact that tumor cells are monoclonal in origin means that they

a. can only duplicate themselves once.
b. arose from a change in a single cell.
c. will become larger than normal
d. are passed from one generation to the next.

2. Reverse genetics is a method by which
a. scientist are ale to localize mutant genes.
b. normally hereditary traits are eliminated for future generations.
c. a parasite causes a host to tolerate its presence.
d. an entire chromosome is added or deleted in order to engineer a mutation.

3. Which of the following best describes the morphology of a chronic inflammatory lesion?

a. Yellow-green, hard, and lumpy
b. varying in color and of a shape that isn't well circumscribed
c. Bright read, soft, and roughly square in shape
d. white-gray, fairly round, and well circumscribed

4. Making differential diagnoses means

a. diagnosing diseases that may be in conflict with those of other veterinary professionals.

b. compiling a list of animals in the immediate geographic region who exhibit similar symptoms.

c. assembling a list of diseases that may be the cause of an animal's symptoms.

d. comparing the symptoms of animals with those that are similar in humans in an effort to diagnose disease.

5. A systemic reaction is a reaction that
a. is highly localized
b. affects only the lymphatic system.
c. causes recurring disorders.
d. occurs throughout the entire body.

6. Water-soluble vitamin imbalances primarily involve
a. vitamin C and thiamine.
b. vitamins A and D.
c. iron, potassium, and calcium
d vitamin K an cholesterol

7. A kitten contract a virus and suffers a shutdown of the immune system, which in turn allows bacteria to invade the animal's body. The invasion of bacteria is known
as a

a. secondary infection
b. subsequent invasion.
c. primary union.
d. branch of offshoot mutation.

8. Which of the following best describes serosanguineous exudate?
a. Fluid containing the clotting factor fibrin
b. Liquid that's low in dissolved protein and has a low number of cells
d. A substance rich in white blood cells and cloudy yellowish in appearance

9. Which of the following illustrates infection via contact with a fomite?
a. using the same syringe on a healthy puppy and a puppy with an infectious disease
b. Allowing two different types of animals to come into contact with each other.
c. an animal that steps on a rusty nail
d. the contact of an animal with an insect, mite, or tick

10. What sort of danger does a swollen cell pose?

a. A swollen cell is more likely to produce a tumor.
b. The internal machinery of a swollen cell can malfunction and the cell can burst.
c. Swollen cells often parasitize normal, healthy cells.
d. Karyotypic changes sometimes result from too much swelling.

11. What is the difference between normovolemic and hypovolemic shock?

A. Hypovolemic shock occurs mainly in primates, while normovolemic shock isn't limited by

b. Normovolemic shock can occur without a great loss of blood; hypovolemic shock is a direct result of blood loss.

c. Hypovolemic shock is normally caused by a myocardial infarction; normovolemic shock isn't.

d. Tendencies toward hypovolemic shock are largely hereditary in animals, while tendencies toward normovolemic shock are rarely the result of genetics.

12. Inflammation is a process that occurs on a level.
a. cellular, blood, and tissue
b. tissue and chromosomal.
c. primarily muscular
d. blood, skeletal, and epidermal

13. One simply difference between normal and neoplastic cells is that
a. neoplastic cells are transportable.
b. normal cells lack the ability to differentiate among different part of the body.
c. neoplastic cells aren't able to circulate via the bloodstream
d. normal cells don't exhibit unregulated proliferation

14. Which of the following is an example of an adverse drug reaction?

a. A kitten that seems to recover from a disease with the aid of drugs

b. A gerbil that responds positively to a drug that's been administered accidentally

c. A puppy that receives dosage of an acknowledged chemical aid, only to be made fatally sick by that drug

d. A primate that develops a minor skin rash as the result of a drug that otherwise helps its illness

15. Metastatic calcification can best be described as the deposition of calcium in
a. bone and other hardened areas.
b. skin and subcutaneous tissue.
c. the blood cells in and around recurring wounds.
d. soft tissues that aren't the site of previous damage

16. Which of the following is an example of an immune carrier?
a. Puppy exhibiting glaring symptoms of a lethal disease
b. A kitten carrying a virulent infection but never suffering from it
c. A rabbit that's suffered from a disease in the past but hasn't rid itself of the infecting agent
d. A guinea pig that spreads an infectious disease through contact with other animals.

17. An extensive dermal wound with complete loss of the epithelium is said to be

a. healed by second intention.
b. a primary union
c. healed by the first intention.
d. a sutured incision

18. Tumors that are perceived by the body as foreign once they changed their chemical nature are often termed
A. antigens or self-antigens.
b. autoimmune lymphocytes.
c. self-tolerants
d. nonself cells.

19. Which of the following groups are all telltale signs of inflammation?

a. Swelling, scabbing, and dizziness
b. Alternate heat and coldness and indentation
c. Redness, swelling, and heat
d. Loss of function, heat, and dryness

20. The reaction of living tissue to a local injury in which the reaction has a fairly rapid onset and a clear and distinct end is considered a (n)

a. chronic inflammatory response.
b. acute inflammatory event.
c. hemodynamic vascular change.
d. vascular emigration.