DrChristineM
DrChristineM, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years in small animal medicine
23497452

My dog ate an object outside and is now throwing up. He ate

My dog ate an object outside and is now throwing up. He ate the object about 18 hours before he threw up the first time, he threw up a second time, and then went about another 11 or 12 hours and threw up a third time. I'm wondering if we should take him to the vet or if the issue is normal and will clear up on it's own?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  DrChristineM replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer. I have a couple of questions for you:

Is he vomiting every time he eats or drinks, or is he at least able to keep water down?

Any idea what he ate?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He is not vomiting after eating or drinking, we do know what he ate.
What was it?

What is he vomiting up? Does he still have a good appetite?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry i meant to say that we do not know what he ate

The first time a pile of mushy food no odd coloration, then about 15 or 20 minutes late he threw up a pile of foam, and then he did not throw up again until almost 12 hours later. He does still have an appetite. He does not seem lethargic.
Ok, thanks--I figured that might just be a mis-type!

If he is eating and drinking and not immediately vomiting, then whatever the object is may pass on its own. There are a few places that things can get stuck along the way, and anything abnormal in GI tract like this can take longer than usual to pass, if it is going to pass. Things that would indicate to me that he is in need of prompt care would be refusal to eat or vomiting up any food or water he does take in, hunched posture or abdominal pain, and lethargy.
I wold give him a few more days, and if things appear to still be moving, we are probably ok. If you see any of the above signs or it seems like he is taking a turn for the worse, have him seen.

I hope this helps, please let me know if I can answer any other questions!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So would these issues becaused by eating something that would cause food poisoning (and if so when should we anticipate him to be recovered) or would it be something that is indigestible?
It can be from either one. Usually ingestion of something like garbage or spoiled items will cause more intense vomiting and diarrhea while the body tries to clear the material. Something that is indigestible ( a toy, rock, etc) will slow the gut as it moves and can cause intermittent vomiting as long as things are still moving along (as I said the vomiting will increase if the item becomes stuck and can't move any further).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How long should we expect the symptoms to persist before we take him to the vet?
If he is still having vomiting episodes by Tuesday or Wednesday, he should be seen, even if the signs aren't worsening.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much
No problem!!
DrChristineM, Veterinarian
Experience: 6 years in small animal medicine