Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409
Veterinary

my dogs spine is showing she eats well so I cant figure out

my dogs spine is showing... Show More
my dogs spine is showing she eats well so I can't figure out what is wrong
Category: Veterinary
replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Zoe :

Hello, I'm Dr. Zoe. Do you feel that your dog has lost weight over the past few months despite having an excellent appetite? As well is she on any medications right now?

Customer:

She really hasn't lost weight its just her back area her spine is becoming more noticable and boney no medications

Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 5 years ago.
Treatment of a tumor depends on its location. If we are seeing signs of weight loss and confirm she has a tumor, then this is usually an indication that the tumor has already metastasized or spread within the body. That makes treatment more challenging. If upon a general screening which includes radiographs we find the tumor is isolated to the spleen or another easily resectable location then surgery is an option to remove. It is super important prior to removal that a metastasis check is performed which involves taking 3-view chest radiographs (xrays) and aspiration of any local lymph nodes. If metastasis is found then you have to have a long discussion with your veterinarian or a veterinary oncologist about the benefits of surgical resection. There are some tumors that respond quite well to chemotherapy in addition to surgical resection and there are other that won't.

REgarding the bitten by bug, it certainly depends on the kind of bug. Tick-borne diseases (e.g., Lyme disease, rocky mountain spotted fever, anaplasmosis or ehrlichiosis) can also cause weight loss. This is where screening lab work (CBC, CHemistry profile and urinalysis) may reveal a problem such as this. If so, this is completely treatable, and good news for you.

-Dr. Zoe