How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Hunt Your Own Question
Dr. Hunt
Dr. Hunt, Veterinarian
Category: Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 382
Experience:  Small animal & equine vet with special interest in ER/critical care, advanced medicine, and surgery.
Type Your Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Hunt is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is Indian Hawthorne poisonous for dogs, and if so, what are

Customer Question

Is Indian Hawthorne poisonous for dogs, and if so, what are the symptoms of toxicity? I am afraid my dog might be having symptoms of poisoning, ie she vomited about 5 hours ago and has been shivering.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Hunt replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I hope to provide some assistance to you and your dog.

Indian Hawthorne is not technically poisonous to dogs. This doesn't mean that if your dog at it, that there are no symptoms, but just that there is no specific toxin that is going to poison your dog.

Any time your dog eats something she shouldn't, vomiting and diarrhea are a potential response, as you are seeing in your dog. This typically lasts 12-24 hours and usually resolves on its own.

I would recommend withholding any food until the vomiting has stopped for at least 12 hours, and then offer small amounts (less than 1/4 cup) of boiled chicken and rice to see if she can keep it down. Expect that some diarrhea or soft stool may develop. However, if the vomiting persists for 24 hours, then a veterinary visit will be needed for anti-vomiting medications.

I hope that this has been helpful, and best of luck with your dog.