Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

blood and clots are coming out of my dogs nose. why

blood and clots are coming out of my dog's nose. why?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. Is the blood coming from one nostril, or both? How long has this been going on for?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It has been going on for the past 3 hours and I cannot tell if it is both nostrils or only one. He is starting to almost throw up the blood now. Should we take him to the vet ER? He is old and I do not want him to be in pain, but I do not want them to automatically say he needs to be 'put down'.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

He seems a bit better now........had some water and is not throwing up any blood.

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
If he seems like he is starting to throw up blood as well, then I'm worried that he could have a problem with his blood clotting abilities, which can be a life threatening situation. Other causes for blood coming from the nose, include a tumor in the nasal passages or sinuses, or a fungal infection (usually this causes pus and blood together). I do think that a visit to the ER is probably a good idea, since it sounds from your description that the problem is getting worse as time goes on, and I'd worry that his condition will deteriorate overnight if he is not seen by a veterinarian. Nosebleeds are seldom life threatening, but I'd be worried that there's more going on internally other than just the nosebleed.

I would like to think that any responsible veterinarian would not automatically say that he "needs to be put down" without at least having a tentative diagnosis in hand. It's ultimately your choice whether to proceed with the ER vet's recommendations, but deciding not to go at all, could end up being a poor decision.

If you now say he seems better, then observing him for a few hours might be OK - but you need to look for other signs of bleeding elsewhere in the body, such as pale gums, or red spots on the gums, or bruising of the skin, either in spots or large areas, or blood in the urine or stools.