Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

MY DOG IS TAKING GNC ULTRA MEGA HIP AND JOIN TABLETS 3 A DAY

MY DOG IS TAKING GNC ULTRA MEGA HIP AND JOIN TABLETS 3 A DAY ;750MG GLUCOSAMIE/600 MG CHONDROITIN-500MG MSM HE IS 90 ILBS I GIVE WITH PEANUT BUTTER ON THE PILLS AND ALSO WITH FOOD SO IT DOESNT HURT HIS TUMMY; HE HAS BEEN ON THEM FOR LITTLE OVER A MO , I NOTICED THAT HE DOESNT POOP AS MUCH AS HE DID , VERY LITTLE 2 TIMES A DAY ; CAN ANY OF THSES BEE HURTING HIM ? SOMEONE SAID GIVE A TABLESPOON OF PURE PUMPKIN 1 TIME A DAY AND I HAVE FOR 2 DAYS NOW STILL A LITTLE POOP ; HE EATS WELL AND DRINKS WATER ; HE WAGS HIS TAIL ALOT HE IS A VERY GOOD DOG ; HE WILL BE 11 IN MAY ; ONLY PROBLEM IS HIS HIPS AND JOINTS ; HAD A LIVER PROBLEM DUE TO TAKEING TRIMADOL FOR PAIN . PLEASE CAN YOU HELP ;
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

Few questions for you:

1. Any recent diarrhea?
2. Have you recently changed food brands?
3. How many times a day does he have a bowel movement?
4. What food do you feed now?
5. Does he have any difficulty getting up from the ground or going up the stairs?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p>his poop is soft but little here and there; didnt change any food just peanut butter and hip and joint pills maybe a new treat ? he ; goes poop 2 times a day be for a few more times ; he eat people food ; for he was sick from his reg ; dog dry food ;but he eats his food too i buy him beniful , and he has bad hips and joints he was on novx and they made him sick i help him up and then he walks out side ; he gets on the couch ok ; he gets up ok not very well ; so i help him; </p>
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.

It's not very likely that anything in the GNC supplement is affecting him negatively. The change in the defecation pattern is probably due to something else:

1. Varied diet - giving different treats or human food can definitely change the consistency of the stool and frequency of defecation.
2. Pain; some dogs with pain in their hips and knees defecate less frequently because it hurts to squat
3. He may be eating a little less for one reason or another, resulting in less feces formed
4. Partial obstruction in the colon leading to partial constipation (this may be foreign material or a tumor)

I think the best thing to do is to stabilize the diet (feed a good quality dog food such as Science Diet, Royal Canin, Iams or Purina ONE), stay away from human food (especially fatty type), stop the pumpkin for a week (then you may restart if everything is ok) and add a probiotic (try Culturelle, which you can get a drugstore; give 1 capsule daily, mixed with food, for at least 30 days). The PeptoBismol can constipate for a little while, so don't give for a few days; if soft stools continue for longer than 2 weeks, even if it's not every day, I'd see your vet to ensure that nothing serious is going on...

Hope this helps; please let me know if you have any other questions!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you ; but thats all he has been eating is people food and a little dry dog food ; so you dont think the pills are hurting him? would you no of maybe anything i can give him for pain beside aspin; i cant give him trimadol cuz of them hurting his liver ; and what will culturell do for him what i need is something with no side afects ;
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 3 years ago.
The problem is that providing people food can have unpredictable effects on his digestion because of such high variability, plus human food is very difficult to make into a balanced, nutritionally complete dog diet... I would very gradually start adding more and more dog food into his meals and taking away the people food; try canned food, many dogs like the taste and you could use it as a transition to help him eat well.

I don't think that the pills are hurting him, but they may not be helping either; glucosamine/chondroitin supplements are notoriously inconsistent in their quality. When you are near the end of the GNC product, I would switch to one called Cosequin DS, which has been shown to be effective in helping joints.

For pain in an older dog, nothing you can find over the counter in terms of human medications may be safe, including aspirin. There are some supplements that can help with pain and have been proven to be safe and effective; use the combination for best effect (most of these can be ordered online):

1. Duralactin for pain and inflammation
2. Fish oils (omega 3 fatty acids), such as Welactin, for inflammation
3. Cosequin DS (as above), for joint health and inflammation
4. CanEVA - for muscle strength and pain

Culturelle helps improve intestinal function and won't cause any problems. I would give above a month and if you see no improvement, I would see your vet... Best wishes!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you dr; very much i love this guy ; he is all i have ; i lost my son ; now the other cosequin ds the one that XXXXX XXXXXa talks about ; is there any side afects ; please ill leave you be after this and thank you ;
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 3 years ago.
No problem! As for XXXXX XXXXXna, that's the one! The product is very safe and should not cause a problem. Let me know if you have other questions...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok thank you but do i get all that and give him all that with cosequine ds ;every day ? and how much he is 90 lbs i no dr am stupid; and please dr do you no of anything that can help for fire works and thunder ; see my vet passed away ; so i have to look for 1 now ; thanks dr no more after this ;
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 3 years ago.
Dont worry, its what I'm here for. The supplements I listed should all be given together every day and each bottle or package should list a dose based on the weight; this assumes that he does have arthritis and if you see no visible improvement in a month, I would then have him checked by a vet.

Here are some links with information on storm/fireworks phobias:
http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3093
http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1654
http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1657
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok is there anything i can do or give him now to go poop till i get all that stuff;
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately that really depends on why he isn't pooping. Its best to not give anything, other than perhaps the canned pumpkin and see how he does in the next 48 hours; if he doesn't poop at all or very little in the next 2 days, this may be a sign of trouble and I would find a vet to see him at that time.
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College