Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery
20804272

What painkillers can i give my dog. She is a 13 year old staffordshire

What painkillers can i give my dog. She is a 13 year old staffordshire bull terrier who has pain in her left back leg and the vets wher i live are not open till monday?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Lee :

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

Dr. Lee :

Do you have any human prescription pain medications at home?

Customer:

Yes ibuprofen or paracetamol

Dr. Lee :

These are non-prescription drugs (aka over the counter). Do you have any that are prescribed by a doctor?

Customer:

I can go to a chemist and get any

Customer:

co codamol

Dr. Lee :

Here is the thing, dogs need to use dog-specific pain medications, once that are good for dogs.

Dr. Lee :

Ibuprofen etc are all human over the counter medications that are not good for dogs because they can lead to kidney and liver failure.

Customer:

can i buy any at the chemist#

Dr. Lee :

There are some human prescription drugs (requiring prescription from a doctor) that dogs can use.

Dr. Lee :

You cannot get any prescription drugs from a chemist without a prescription.

Customer:

what are they

Dr. Lee :

Tramadol.

Dr. Lee :

You will not be able to get that without a prescription.

Customer:

i have tramadol

Dr. Lee :

So let me ask you one more time, WHAT prescription medications do you have at home?

Dr. Lee :

Also, how much does your dog weight?

Customer:

ok sorry i forget that i had tramadol co codamol and co proxamol

Dr. Lee :

How much does your dog weight?

Dr. Lee :

And what mg size of tramadol do you have? Normally they are 50 mg per tablet.

Customer:

5 stone

Dr. Lee :

What is that in pounds of kilograms?

Dr. Lee :

So she is about 31.5 kg, which is equal to 5 stones.

Dr. Lee :

What size of tramadol do you have?

Customer:

50 mg

Dr. Lee :

Thanks.

Dr. Lee :

You can give 50 mg of tramadol every 8 to 12 hours for pain.

Dr. Lee :

This should be fine until you can get her to your vet tomorrow.

Dr. Lee :

Do you have any questions or concerns?

Customer:

And it is safe for me to give her these.Are there any side effects i should watch for ?

Dr. Lee :

It is safe to use tramadol. Absolutely.

Dr. Lee :

It can potentially cause sedation, but at that dose, not likely.

Dr. Lee :

Tramadol has opioid like effects.

Dr. Lee :

Do you have any other questions or concerns?

Customer:

My husband has Arthrotec or Diclafenic are Tramadol still the best?

Dr. Lee :

Yes it is. Reason being that those are human NSAIDs. Not good for dogs. Dogs require dog-specific NSAIDs.

Dr. Lee :

With the exception of meloxicam, which is normally used for dogs.

Dr. Lee :

By far the most commonly used NSAIDs used for dogs is carprofen, which is a dog-specific drug.

Dr. Lee :

Customer:

No thanks very much for your help

Dr. Lee :

You're welcomed. If you are satisfied with my help, please press Accept so the system can acknowledge my work here. Any follow up questions can be posted on the Q&A session without further charges.

Dr. Lee, Veterinarian
Experience: 7 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery