Dr. Lisa
Dr. Lisa, Veterinarian
Experience:  26 yrs of small animal vet practice. Dog, cat and parrot caretaker for 35 yrs! Former Zookeeper

Possible causes for dog 's rear leg weakness.

Possible causes for dog's rear leg weakness. Ranger has hip dysplasia and arthritis. He receives Adequan injections every 3 weeks. He gets acupuncture and chiropractic treatments as needed. He seems to have twisted his front leg in trying to balance the rear leg problem and is limping. He is given Arnica in water for that and DGP daily for arthritis. He recently was prescribed prednisone for an anal gland problem - still being tapered off.
Unfortunately older dogs do tend to experience a weakening of the hindquarters with some regularity. It's more obvious in some breeds (such as German Shepherds and Retrievers) than in others, but either way, it's hard to see your pet having trouble and not being able to do much about it.
A couple things you could try would be a Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplement to help with lubricating the joints. You can find this in the health section of any store, and you can actually just give her the human dose. Also, you might want to talk to your vet about giving him something that lasts a little longer such as Metacam (which is much like Aspirin) or Tramado (which is like Morphine) to help him feel a little more comfortable.
It's hard to know if this is simple arthritis or if there is something more going on. Some dogs get Spondylosis (Which is a narrowing of the spine, which causes pressure on the cord that results in some rear end weakness), and some get ostrosarcoma (bone cancer), both of which can present with rear end weakness. Also, there is simple muscle wasting, which happens in a lot of older dogs. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure what you are dealing with it through an X-ray of his spine/pelvis area. It sounds to me like you are a very dedicated parent, but unfortunately agine happens to all of us and it sounds like this could be what is going on with your big guy. I'd ask your vet about trying some of the meds and then just do what you can to make him comfortable. (I see lots of big, fluffly beds and blankets in his future!).
I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. He had a bad winter - cold and damp but was very mobile until about 4 weeks ago. He seems to be ok for a few days and then he will stumble once or twice on walks. In the last 2 days, the right rear leg has gone out. Would a disc problem have these symptoms? He doesn't seem to be in pain except for the front leg. He wants to walk but does so very slowly. Would muscle wasting appear rather suddenly?
At the top of the list are of course, Ranger's arthritis and dysplasia; these make for secondary muscle soreness, weakness and atrophy (wasting). The atrophy might not be visible to you at first because you see him every day, and it can either be a gradual or acute event. Other causes for HL weakness include lumbosacral instability, disc disease, infectious disease (like tick-borne illnesses), and nervous system disease, metabolic diseases (there are a huge group of endocrine disorders, such as Addison's disease etc.), and of course, cancer (organ and bone). It seems to me that you've been doing a great job with natural remedies, and I think that CVT's suggestion of adding in chondroitin/glucosamine is an excellent one. At this point, I would most definitely add in a big gun NSAID pain medication (but not until he's off the steroids, and even then I would add a stomach protectant for a while). Also, the front leg might be from a sprain/strain, cancer, or more primary neurologic/musculoskeletal disease. (What kind of dog is Ranger? Is he neutered?). Hope this helps!
Dr. Lisa, Veterinarian
Experience: 26 yrs of small animal vet practice. Dog, cat and parrot caretaker for 35 yrs! Former Zookeeper