Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  14 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog has very dark, thick (almost tar like) diarrhea with

Customer Question

My dog has very dark, thick (almost tar like) diarrhea with a hint of blood. He has gone at least twice in the past three hours and I'm pretty sure he did it in his kennel while I was at work. My boyfriend and his son saw what they described as "coagulated blood" and the whole house smelled really awful. Both times he has gone since I've been home were almost like it was uncontrolable. He is definitely acting very lathargic, but this is normally his bedtime. I can't get him to give me "kisses" or sit in my lap (his two absolute favorite things to do). All he will do is lay there and breathe like he is in pain.

He has had an episode like this in the past year and the vet gave him some very bland canned food and something to settle his stomach.

He's a 9 year old XXXXX XXXXX Terrier, up to date on all of his shots, eats anything and everything in sight (usually), but never has access to anything poisonous.

My question is should I take him to the Emergency Vet? I have to be at work in 6 hours but I will take him if I need to.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advise. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Take a look at his gums and see if they are pink like yours or pale?

3- Do you know if he got into anything or ate something out of the ordinary?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. Three episodes...the first one happened sometime between 8am and 2pm this afternoon.

2. His gums look pink but his mouth is pretty dry...and his tounge is a little pale.

3. He eats anything and everything he can get to and we do our best not to let him eat anything but dog food, but he never has access to any chemicals, drugs or anything like that.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

The concern in this case is the lethargy in presence of bloody stool. Possible causes include infections, foreign body, tumors, and less likely secondary to metabolic disorders (liver disease, coagulopathies, etc.). I would really be concern about a foreign body considering the acute nature of his symptoms. It is best not to wait and have him checked tonight; waiting could be very bad for him and even fatal. Hopefully, that is not the case, but, the only way to rule it out is with a hands on exam and some xrays. It is best you take advantage of having access to ER vet and have him checked tonight.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter