Dr. Goodall
Dr. Goodall, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS and MRCVS
51584142

why would a mouse keep spinning arond in circles

aegoodall :

Hi there I'm Dr Goodall and I'd like to help.

aegoodall :

The signs you are describing are quite common in aging rodents and are related to the brain or inner ear. Bacterial infections are usually secondary to respiratory infections (have you noticed any eye/nose discharge or any sneezing?) and may respond to a course of antibiotics.

aegoodall :

Other causes are ear polyps (very difficult to surgically remove in such small animals), and brain tumors.

JACUSTOMER-pimh2b6t- :

So; when you say related to the brain, what exactly do you mean?Isuppose it is not just senilty we are talking about,rather something that is causing her not to be able to maintain her equilibrium.?...A CVA? There is no discharge from eyes or nose, and no sneezing. She seems to want to eat and drink..Do you think this is something that will resolve itself? My daughter is very attatched to her pet mice!

JACUSTOMER-pimh2b6t- :

Are you still there?

aegoodall :

Yes that's correct - something which is causing her to lose her balance - this is either brain or ear related. Brain: inflammation perhaps due to infection or a space occupying lesion like an abscess or tumor. Ear: ear infection (not common in mice) or mass such as a polyp or papilloma.

aegoodall :

I doubt whether the signs will resolve by itself. I would advise trying antibiotics from your vet to see whether it is an infection. If there is no improvement, then unfortunately it is likely to be untreatable - these guys are just too small to operate on.

JACUSTOMER-pimh2b6t- :

So; without more definitive symptoms, do you think a course of broad-spectrum antibiotics should be tried? I do not want the mouse to suffer, but have a hard time not trying something so that at least there is a chance she is not terminally ill..Perhaps tis is unreasonable, but the only alternative appears to be to euthenize her, and she seems too active for that. Woe is me!

aegoodall :

Yes I agree, try broad spectrum antibiotics first - Enrofloxacin is often used in small mammals.

JACUSTOMER-pimh2b6t- :

OK...So I suppose the only way to obtain the med is by an office visit with a vet...This isn't something one can buy online like one can vaccines and the like?

aegoodall :

No I'm afraid you will need your vet to examine the mouse and write a prescription.

JACUSTOMER-pimh2b6t- :

OK...I am friends with a wildlife rehabilitater ; she often has antibiotics she gives to small rodents...Maybe i will ask her, as tomorrow is Sunday and no vet is aroub=nd...

aegoodall :

Good idea, hope they work!

aegoodall :

Dr Goodall

JACUSTOMER-pimh2b6t- :

Thank you for your time; It is hard to know what to do with these little creatures, but they all deserve a fighting chance..She was rescued with 2 others from a hawk sanctuary where they were bred and to be fed live to the birds and snakes...She has had a good life with us!