Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

Cavalier King Charles - coughing as though he has a fir ball,

Cavalier King Charles - coughing as though he has a fir ball, then climbed up on my wife's lap panting slightly intermittently seems reasonably calm now if slightly subdued?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 years ago.

Hi there and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

there are 2 possibilities for this cough. This is the first sign of Congestive Heart failure and considering your guys age, this is a possibility. This could also be the start of Tracheobronchitis. This is a contagious disease that is often caught at a kennel, groomers, vets office or dog park. If this is the problem, this is a self limiting disease that will eventually go away on its own but he will require medication from your vet.

If your guy is still eating well and is now out of this episode , then there is nothing else you can do but to calm him down. If this continues, have your vet examine him Monday to know for sure.

Good Luck!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX