Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years working as a full time veterinarian
2263760

My dog is having diarrhea and drinking a lot of water

Customer Question

Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 3 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for asking your question on just answer. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

How long has she had the diarrhea?

Is she still eating normally?

Has she had any changes in diet such as people food, new dog food, or new treats?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well it started last week... only once. I was out of town, and my roommate found it. She said she was drinking a ton of water and would barely eat. She was fine the next day and so on. Then it happened again today, and again, she's drinking a ton of water. And there are no changes in her diet. She gets fed little bites of people food all the time, but her normal diet consist of a mixture of dry food and wet food in the morning and at night. The roommate started feeding them Rachel Ray dry food a couple of weeks ago, but I recently bought the normal Purina dog food they eat.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 3 years ago.

The food change could be the cause.

How much does she weigh?

Is she vomiting too?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She weighs about 45-50 lbs. No. No vomiting. Could it be anxiety or anything? She did it the day I left town last week. And today was the first time I left her since then just to go to work. But she has never reacted like this before when I have left... So I guess it might be the food...

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

It could be anxiety but it does not sound like it because she has never done it before. If she continues to do it every time you leave then you know it is anxiety and not a food change.

You can give her 1 tablet of immodium ad every 12 hours as needed for diarrhea.

If she is actively having diarrhea, I would fast her over night and just let her have water. This will give her gastrointestinal tract a chance to rest.

Then in the morning, start her on a bland diet of plain chicken and plain white rice. Start with just a spoonful and wait an hour to make sure she does not have diarrhea again. If she does well, you can gradually give her more.

Keep her on the bland diet for the next two days. If she continues to do well, then you can start mixing in her regular dog food.

If she continues to have diarrhea with the bland diet and immodium ad, then she may have a gastrointestinal bacterial or parasitic infection. Then, she would need to see a vet to have a fecal sample checked and antibiotics or anti parasitic medications.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks so much!!
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 3 years ago.
You are so welcome. I hope she feels better soon. : )