Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

My dog is leaking water everywhere every time she lies down

My dog is leaking water everywhere every time she lies down and relaxes...not just a little, but large spots, and because of that she's constantly thirsty (literally drinking 3-4 times what she normally does).

It seems to have started after she drank some pool water several days ago...
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help. In response to your question, when a dog drinks more than usual, it is an indication of either an infection, kidney or liver disease, hormonal disorders (diabetes) and even cancer. The urine leakage could be directly related to drinking more or she could have a weak urethral sphincter. If this was my case in the clinic, after a thorough physical exam I would request to see:

1- Chemistry profile, CBC, and urinalysis: These tests will tell me about her kidneys, liver, infections, glucose (diabetes), etc.

2- Xrays: If the blood test are normal, we proceed with xrays to look for other possibilities like tumors, stones, etc.

I would advise you to consider having your vet take a look at her and do the above tests. Once they have the results they will be able to explain and treat her symptoms.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks...can't get in until you have any advice in the meantime? Do we let her drink as much as she will and confine her to her crate so that we don't ruin every couch in the house...or do we restrict her drinking to her normal intake (which we know because we use an auto watering bowl)?

Is this more of an emergency than we think?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 years ago.
It is more of an emergency; for example. If she is diabetic or has elevated calcium and these are the causes of her symptoms, restricting water can have serious consequences. If it is related to an infection, restricting water will promote and cause further damage in the kidneys. Unfortunately, there is not much you can do from home. She needs to have some tests done to find out why is she drinking more. You can cut back on her water intake but don't restrict her to normal, allow her to drink more just in case any of the above is the case. Highly recommend not to wait until Thursday and see if you can have her checked tomorrow.