Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal veterinary medicine
14018973

9 week old puppy is throwing up bile....will not eat today.

Customer Question

9 week old puppy is throwing up bile....will not eat today. She was fine when she went to bed last night. She is a shelter pup, she's had all of her shots. I THINK that she might have ingested some pine needles from the christmas tree we took down. Is there anything I can give her? She has NO diarreaha and the vomit does not smell at all, its clear bile. Thanks
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear that this girl's having this stomach upset. Why is she having the vomiting could be due to a couple different reasons. It could be due to her having eaten something that is just not sitting well - the pine needles, ate some table scraps, got into the garbage, new food, etc. It could also be due to something being stuck - a foreign body. It could be due to a viral infection - any young dog has to have parvo on the list of rule outs. It could be due to other metabolic issues. Being able to tell what of these it is due to requires a physical exam, x-rays, and some blood work. My best recommendation is to have her seen as soon as possible to determine what is going on and how best she can be treated.

If a veterinary visit isn't possible here today, I'd fast her for 8 hours. No treats, no food, nothing. You can offer a small amount of water after the 8 hours, but don't allow her to drink too much at one time.

After having access to the water for 1 hour, I'd offer a bland diet of boiled rice and boiled hamburger (3 parts rice to 1 part burger) in VERY small amounts (perhaps 1/4 c every couple hours or so) for the next 24 hours. Once you start feeding the rice mixture, monitor for recurring vomiting. If the vomiting doesn't start again, you can begin slowly mix in her regular food over the next few days until you're back to just it.

If the vomiting persists despite this, or if she becomes lethargic, begins to have diarrhea or shows other 'unusual' signs, you need to have her seen by a vet to figure out what is going on.

I hope this helps!!