Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in surgery, medicine and behavior

My dog is not eating or drinking and has blood in her stool.

My dog is not eating or drinking and has blood in her stool. She doesn't seem to fall asleep but won't move from where she is. She is a litle older than 1 yr. Her breathing is shallow and a little quick. Will she make it through the night and is it something that can be fixed?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 5 years ago.

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer.

• How long has she been this way?
  • Can you think of anything she may have eaten to cause this?
  • Is her belly painful when you gently push on it?
  • Are her gums a normal pink color?
  • Has she had her vaccines and how old was she when she got the last one?
  • Has she had any vomiting and does she have diarrhea?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1. This morning is when she started just laying there but yesterday is when I noticed she stopped eating. The bloody stool was this morning.

2. Possibly ate stuffing from a comforter she ripped open.

3. No painful reactions when pressing on the belly.

4. Seems to be a lighter shade of pink than normal.

5. As a puppy about a year ago.

6. Some vomiting yesterday (small clump of grass) and the blood stool this morning looked like diarrhea the second time his evening seemed to be blood only.

PS: Think she may have been bitten by a spider about 2 weeks ago on the back hip. She pulled all the hair out of an area about 4 inches across but it eventually scabbed over and healed. It now looks normal and the hair is coming back but it may have effected more than just the skin by the looks of her current condition.

Thanks for the information. I am worried about her since she is probably getting dehydrated from the diarrhea and lack of appetite. For tonight make sure she gets plenty of fluids, you could even try warm chicken broth if necessary. I think her chances are good to make it through the night but assessment is difficult under these circumstances so I can't be sure. It would be best to have her seen as soon as you possibly can. The quicker she is treated the better her chances of turning things around quickly. If you have more questions please reply back. Here are some possible causes:

• Parvovirus is a deadly, highly contagious disease that is especially dangerous for puppies and their poor immune systems. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and lack of appetite. There may be blood in the diarrhea and vomit. 3 things about parvo are deadly to them: the virus itself, bacterial infections from the intestinal tract and dehydration. Treatment usually includes fluids and antibiotics as well as medications for vomiting and to help the immune system fight the virus. Vaccines are incredibly good at preventing the disease but are necessary about every 3 weeks until about 15 to 16 weeks old. One vaccine does not provide enough protection. The disease usually takes 3-7 days to appear after the puppy is exposed. Here's a link:

• Intestinal parasites are common and include hookworms, roundworms, coccidia and giardia. All of these can cause vomiting, diarrhea, blood in the stool, weight loss, lethargy and lack of appetite. Most puppies are infected with roundworms and hookworms very early in life from their mother through the milk or the womb. Giardia is potentially contagious to humans. All of these parasites can be treated but fecal tests are necessary to diagnose them. They can't been seen in the stool with the naked eye. A microscope is necessary to find the eggs in the stool to identify which parasite is present. Here's some links:

• Gastroenteritis- A change in food and environment can also cause diarrhea, some lethargy and vomiting. In this case the stuffing would certainly qualify as a possible cause. Sometimes puppies become sick enough that fluids and medications are required to keep them from getting dehydrated and weak. IF there is some stuffing causing a blockage then that will probably require surgery.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately she passed away about 15 minutes ago. Thanks for the help you offered but it was obviously worse than we thought.