Experience:  dasdasd

My cats sick watery eyes runny nose. What can I do for him

My cats sick watery eyes runny nose. What can I do for him.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 5 years ago.
  1. Is the nasal discharge clear or colored? Cloudy?
  2. Is he eating normally?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He seems to be eating regularly. I take him to his food every so often and he eats and drinks. The drainage from his nose seems to be clear. His eyes look terrible. Allot of runny blackish discharge.
Expert:  brisadog replied 5 years ago.

Often the discharge from the eyes starts out clear but dries that dark brown/black color. Usually bacterial infections cause cloudy yellow or green discharge. Since both his eyes and nose are affected, I wonder if he might have a feline herpesvirus infection.

There is nothing to kill a virus itself (just as a cold needs to run its course), but there are some things to try to make him feel better. You can sit in a steamy bathroom with him to help clear his respiratory secretions.

If he stops eating, you can add warm water to his food, try canned cat food, tuna fish, or meat baby food. Also heat it up slightly to increase the stinkiness. (When they get stuffed up and can't smell, they lose their appetites).

Last, you can purchase an L-lysine supplement for him. This supplement stops the virus from replicating, and gives his immune system a chance to get rid of the problem. These supplements can be found on the internet, such as Enisyl or Viralys.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. I will accept your answer. He seemed to be doing better but then took a turn for the worse. I bought him a high calorie supplement he doesn't like it but I give it to him anyways. I bought a syringe to feed him with I noticed his gums are red swollen and bleeding. He also looks as if he is missing a few teeth. His breathe is very foal. I am afraid we are gonna lose him but I am trying everything.
Expert:  brisadog replied 5 years ago.

From what you are describing, his condition sounds consistent with something called stomatitis. This is related to an over reaction by his immune system to the bacteria in his mouth. It causes severe inflammation of the gums, very bad breath, difficulty eating and often weight loss.

Unfortunately, the treatment for this is usually extraction of the majority of his teeth. I do have a couple of patients who are doing okay with medical therapy (antibiotics and intensive home dental care), but this is not usually successful. At this point, his mouth would be too painful to begin a home care regime.

Since finances are an issue, perhaps you could have him seen at the local Humane Society or SPCA just to have the diagnosis confirmed. At that point you can evaluate your options for him.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my cat and 2 others have since passed away. i was finally able to take them to see a vet. they had feline leukemia.i do appriciate you advice and information.there should be more education towards the public about such things. this has been a very difficult thing to go through. but the new rule in the family is NO PETS unless we can take them to the vet that same day and get them vaccinated. even if they are strays in need of a good home. its not fair to the animals and very hard on us. thank you once again..amanda