Dr. Steven Osborne
Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery

my dog has sore between her paw pads that i can not get to

my dog has sore between her paw pads that i can not get to heal, do you have any advice to get them to heal. I live in the North East on the coast. I have been trying to keep her from walking on sand and pavement, but they are getting no better.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Steven Osborne replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

HI,I'm Dr Steve

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Sores between the toes can be difficult to heal because they become infected and the infection can get deep into the skin and topical antibiotics often aren't strong enough to cure the infection. You should take him to a vet for an exam and to get oral antibiotics such as cephalexin to fight the infection. There is also a spray called Vetromycin that promotes healing by increasing the oxygen supply to the sore. Continue keeping the cone on to prevent licking and keep walking on soft surfaces. I hope this has helped. If it has would youplease click the accept button so I may receive credit for my answer. Thank you and good luck. I will check later to see if you have more questions.