Dr. Steven Osborne
Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery

My westie has been sneezing now and then and sometimes has

Customer Question

My westie has been sneezing now and then and sometimes has a little blood if sneezing keeps occuring what is this from Allergies?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Steven Osborne replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

HI,I'm Dr Steve. How long has she beendoing this? Does she lick or scratch herself very much?

Customer :

She only does it now and then through a day she will sometimes rub her nose not much though and there is not blood all the time just now and then and not much she eats well and loves to go out side and run around

Customer :

Are you still there ? Do you have suggestions of what this could be or have you seen other dogs have this problem her nose does not seem swollen and I do not feel lumps or anything in it! Hope to hear back from you soon

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Hello'

Customer :

By the way you asked how long has she been doing this well its been now and then through the summer but NO BLOOD till recently and like I said it just seems to come and go I just want to make sure I am doing what I can for her also can she have benadryl if so how much for her weight she is about 22 pounds

Dr. Steven Osborne :

A common cause of sneezing is an infection in the nose. When the infection gets severe there becomes a thick yellow discharge out of the nostrils. It doesn't sound like this is occurring in your dog. She could have a mild infection that never gets bad enough to get thick and yellow.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Since this has been going on for so long, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have her treated for a nasal/sinus infection to see if it will help. To answer your last question, I have clients give benadryl at a dose of 1 mg per pound of bodyweight orally once or twice a day.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Her nose may be getting sensitive or the dry air can be more irritating to the lining of the nose and this can cause bleeding after sneezing. If the antibiotics don;t help you could try keeping her in a room with a humidifier going to see if that will help the situation. I hope this has helped. If it has would you please click the accept button so I may receive credit for my answer. Thank you and good luck, If you have more questions,please continue.