Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

What OTC anti-inflammatory/ analgesic is safe for dogs

What OTC anti-inflammatory/ analgesic is safe for dogs?

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help. In response to your question, aspirin at a dose of 5-10mg per pound body weight every 12 hours with some food can be used. Should not be used for more than 1 week as it can cause gastrointestinal irritation. If you can find Buffered Aspirin even better.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

would this be a safe interim treatment for a 9 yr old pomeranian who had joint problems as a puppy. Today she can't stand, is holding one leg to the side, and won't eat/drink. She did take cosequin DS in catfood (just got it yesterday). She might take aspirin (maybe baby aspirin?) the same way. My financial situation is not good, and an emergency vet is over an hour's drive and $200. If she is not walking by tomorrow, I will take her to the local vet. Thank you so much.

1- She is not walking at all; even with help?

2- How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

She weighs about 12 pounds. She rises, but then cries when she tries to put weight on her leg. When she was a puppy, the vet taught me to stretch back her hind leg to slide the patella back into place. I tried that (even though this looks more like hip than knee), and she didn't cry, but her muscles are really tight back there, so it didn't seem to do any good. She isn't voluntarily walking, but managed a few steps before settling (seems to be okay sitting or lying down).

What you can do is start her on aspirin 81mg every 12 hours with some food. Continue on the Cosequin. Follow up with your family veterinarian.