Dr. MD Stafford
Dr. MD Stafford, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years in private practice, Fish Health Certified and attending veterinarian Missouri State University.
5926198

Can I use ivomec to kill tapeworms in my cats If so, what

Customer Question

Can I use ivomec to kill tapeworms in my cats? If so, what doseage. I give my dogs ivomec once a month for heartworm preventative but have not used it on the cats. The dogs take it orally. Can the cats take it orally too or do I need to inject the ivomec for tapeworm?
Thank you,
GM
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. MD Stafford replied 6 years ago.

mdstafford :

Ivomec will not get tapeworms, need to use praziquantel or a product called profender which is a topical.

Customer:

my search on the internet indicated that ivome could be used on cats for tapeworm

Customer:

it did say that it had to be injected rather than given orally

Customer:

I can do either with no problem

Customer:

what about giving the cats DE diotamacious earth? I know people who take it for all sorts of things including worms.

mdstafford :

Ivermectic is not a good tapeworm medication. It can be used in cats orally or injectable at 0.1ml per ten lbs body weight. It is better than diatemaceous earth