Dr. Johnson
Dr. Johnson, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animals, special interest in orthopedics and neurology
31062341

I have a 13 year old yorkshire terrier with breast cancer.

I have a 13 year old yorkshire terrier with breast cancer. Two years ago she had one breast and a tumor removed. She has developed another tumor that has been growing slowly..It is now about the size of a half dollar. She has been eating and drinking and was playful until yesterday. She stopped eating, and does not even want to go out, which she loves. Her last bowel movement was on tuesday but she is still urinating. I am going to try to get her to the vet after work tomorrow. What can I do for her now? Is there anything I can try to feed her? I made her a hamburger and tried to hand feed her, but she refused it. Maybe baby food or formula?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Johnson replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Johnson :

Dr. Johnson :

I am sorry that your dog is unwell

Dr. Johnson :

Did they do pathology on the previous tumor? Did they tell you if it was benign or metastatic?

JACUSTOMER-7l30vmxi- :

It was metastatic

Dr. Johnson :

Going to the vet tomorrow is certainly the thing to do

Dr. Johnson :

There is definitely a concern that she may have had a spread of the cancer that is causing her current symptoms

Dr. Johnson :

However, at her age, it could be something else entirely

Dr. Johnson :

I would try to entice her to eat, like you are doing, but if she doesn't eat tonight that shouldn't be a problem

Dr. Johnson :

If you lift her lips what color are her gums? Are they dry or moist?

JACUSTOMER-7l30vmxi- :

They are mostly pink, with some spots of black where she lost a tooth and they are moist. Her nose is also wet and cold.

Dr. Johnson :

I think she will be fine to wait and go to the vet in the morning

Dr. Johnson :

They may choose to run some bloodwork and maybe take some xrays of her belly

JACUSTOMER-7l30vmxi- :

I cannot go to the vet in the morning..it would have to be after work if they have hours. My next day off is Monday. Do you think that is too long to wait?

Dr. Johnson :

I think going tomorrow is best

Dr. Johnson :

Do not wait until Monday

JACUSTOMER-7l30vmxi- :

Is there something I else I can give her..like a liqiud formula or meal supplement? I hate that she is not eating

Dr. Johnson :

You can offer some baby food, but honestly if she doesn't eat for one night it won't hurt her

JACUSTOMER-7l30vmxi- :

What do you suspect is wrong with her?

Dr. Johnson :

Just go to the vet tomorrow to get her checked out (they'll have some good food to offer as well if she is still not eating)

Dr. Johnson :

It is possible the cancer has spread

Dr. Johnson :

Sometimes a mammary tumor can have side effects that make a dog feel unwell

Dr. Johnson :

Or she may have any number of other issues, such as infection, liver or kidney problems, or GI cancer

Dr. Johnson :

there is no way to tell without tests

JACUSTOMER-7l30vmxi- :

How will I know if she is in pain? I can't tell..she just looks kind of sad. I don't want to torture her.

Dr. Johnson :

if you are very worried, your other option is to take her to an emergency vet tonight

Dr. Johnson :

if she is painful, she will more likely be obviously restless and possibly vocalizing

JACUSTOMER-7l30vmxi- :

No, that is not an option tonight..She doesn't cry or wince when you touch her. Is there any possibility that it's not serious? like a 24 hour bug that humans get?

Dr. Johnson :

It is possible, but given her history it is still safest to get her checked out

Dr. Johnson :

She may be feeling a lot better when you wake up though

JACUSTOMER-7l30vmxi- :

I definitely will take her, but I want to see her vet. Are there any signs I should look for that indicate an emergency situation?

Dr. Johnson :

If her gums become pale or her breathing becomes labored you should go right away

JACUSTOMER-7l30vmxi- :

What do pale gums indicate?

Dr. Johnson :

that she is either anemic or not oxygenating her blood

JACUSTOMER-7l30vmxi- :

Thank you for your help. If I have any further questions, will I be able to contact you again?

Dr. Johnson :

If I am online I will be happy to help

Dr. Johnson :

If I am not, there will be other vets here to help

JACUSTOMER-7l30vmxi- :

ok, thanks again.

Dr. Johnson :

your welcome

Dr. Johnson :

I hope she's feeling better soon!

Dr. Johnson :

please click accept if I have been helpful

Dr. Johnson, Veterinarian
Experience: Small animals, special interest in orthopedics and neurology