Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

Gave my cat deworming and constipation medicines together. Help!

I was recommended to give my cat Miralax to help him with constipation. He got his worming tablet today then he ate his meal which contained Miralax. I am worried I should not have mixed the two.

Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.

I am not concerned that the two medications were given at the same time.

The only thing I am concerned about is the use of a laxative for a cat. This can sometimes predispose to bad abdominal cramping and bad diarrhea.

Generally, to help avoid constipation in cats, vets try to encourage greater water intake and increased fiber intake. Examples include adding canned pumpkin in the diet or using stool softening medication like lactulose.

So, just as a side note, I would ask your vet about these options if you run into any side-effects or problems with the miralax.

But, no, I am not worried they were given together.

Good Luck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I've tried the fibre and pumpkin before and he is fine in himself but his stools are very hard and he only goes every 2-3 days. I researched constipation in cats on the internet and people recommended miralax in small dose - I gave him about 1/6 of a tea spoon mixed with his food. The miralax was actually recommended by another vet on this forum previously, so I am concerned that you say this may actually cause stomach cramps etc

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.

In the little doses, if it works, great!

But, just worth keeping an eye out.

I would still MAKE SURE your own vet approves the miralax, not just what the vet on the internet says. Too be safe.

I also like to encourage water intake. Sometimes, adding a little canned food to the water or canned tuna juice can increase water consumption. Obviously, you have to change frequently so it doesn't go bad.

Also, the lactulose medication can work great. Definitely, worth asking your vet about.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok I will stop giving him miralax until my vet gives their opinion about it. I'm just concerned having already given him some that he may now get sick - is it dangerous for him just on this one occasion? - I mean should I take him to the vet or will it be out of his system pretty soon?

Sorry but just worried I've made my cat ill

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.

No, it's out quickly.

Not worried about single time.

But, of course, worth consulting your vet, today, before he does get really constipated.