Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

Is honey bad for dogs Our terrier got into a container of honey and he

Is honey bad for dogs? Our terrier got into a container of honey and he's hacking and coughing.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 3 years ago.

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. Honey isn't toxic to dogs. In large amounts it might cause vomiting or diarrhea but otherwise shouldn't cause any problems. Are you wondering if you can use it for the cough?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, the hacking occured at about time we found he got into the honey,we are concerned about this heavy cough,without throwing up.He seems distressed, warm dry nose and quieter than normal
Sorry, after I sent the answer I realized I misread the part about the honey. The honey wouldn't cause a cough. Has he been around any other dogs or been somewhere where dogs frequently go in the last few weeks such as a kennel, groomer or the park? Is he eating and drinking (other than the honey that is)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
he has'nt been around other dogs and ate in his usual quick fashion,and has been drinking OK
Is there any chance of rat poison? If you gently push on his throat does it cause him to cough?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Poison is unlikely as he's inside or in an enclosed yard. Pushing on his throat doesnt seem to bother him.He seems to have settled down.The hacking was deeper than normal and seemed to have come in waves,it happens when he drinks sometimes,but briefly and not as deep.If he got into other food could this be something akin to indigestion?

The only way a cough like this could be caused by something he ate is if it was trapped in his throat. If he is calming down that is unlikely. The more likely cause is an infection. The best options to night are to keep him calm and perhaps even put a humdifier in the room where he sleeps tonight. If the cough is still present by morning then have him seen by your vet. If things worsen tonight then don't hesitate to have him seen at an emergency clinic.

Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian
Experience: 12 year of veterinary experience in surgery, medicine and behavior
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the help.
You're welcome. Good luck.