Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of small animal veterinary medicine

my dog ate a plastic bottle cap what should i do

my dog ate a plastic bottle cap what should i do?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. How long ago did this occur?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
an hour ago
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Given her size and the size of a bottle cap, there's a good chance it could get stuck. Let's make her vomit to get it out. To get your little one to vomit:

Three percent hydrogen peroxide is quite effective in making dogs vomit. Be sure to use three percent peroxide. Despite the label indicating that hydrogen peroxide is toxic, it is safe to give to dogs for this purpose. It is considered toxic since it induces vomiting and therefore does not stay in the body.

The appropriate dose of hydrogen peroxide is one teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight. One teaspoon equals 5 cc or 5 ml. Once the hydrogen peroxide is given, walk your dog around or gently shake the stomach area to mix the peroxide with the stomach contents. Vomiting should occur within 15 to 20 minutes. If no vomiting occurs, you can safely repeat the three percent hydrogen peroxide once. If it is still not effective, your dog may need to be seen by a veterinarian for stronger vomiting medication.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Do you not have hydrogen peroxide at home?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
we just tried the hydrogen peroxide and he threw up but no cap.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Then one of two things is going on. 1) He didn't eat the cap. I've seen many a cases where an owner swears there dog ate something and in the end, they didn't. Unfortunately, a bottle cap isn't going to show on an x-ray, so we can't prove it isn't or is there. 2) The cap is still in him passing through. In this case, if it is small enough, it may pass through and be a non-issue. If it gets stuck, then he'll start to vomit, stop eating, or have abdominal pain. I wouldn't say making him vomit any more will help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how long until he feels okay from the hydrogen peroxide?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
After vomiting from the hydrogen peroxide, they can be down and dumpy for 20 to 30 minutes in most cases. After this, they are usually just quiet. I wouldn't let him eat or drink for a couple hours to let his stomach settle.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years of small animal veterinary medicine