Dr. Elizabeth Ann
Dr. Elizabeth Ann, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 18 yrs. of small animal medical and surgical experience. Over 8 yrs. of ER and critical care.
51152337

Can I give my dog previcox and tramadol together She is on

Customer Question

Can I give my dog previcox and tramadol together? She is on 1 half pill (227mg) a day of previcox and the dr said she could use it with the tramadol, but how much of the tramadol should I give her with the previcox, and how much tramadol (dosage) should be given and time of previcox? Another dr. prescribed Gabapentin,, is it better than the tramadol for pain? we haven't gotten it yet.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Elizabeth Ann replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Elizabeth Ann :

Hi. I am Dr. Elizabeth Ann. Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Dr. Elizabeth Ann :

You can definately give previcox and tramadol together. Previcox is an anti-inflammatory drug. It helps to reduce pain by reducing inflammation. It is similar (but not the same) to aspirin or ibuprofen etc.

Dr. Elizabeth Ann :

Tramadol is a pure pain medication. Think of it as a doggy vicoden. When the pain is too much for just the anti-inflammatory med to handle it, then it can be used. It may cause drowsiness.

Dr. Elizabeth Ann, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 18 yrs. of small animal medical and surgical experience. Over 8 yrs. of ER and critical care.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I gave her tramadol this morn, 2 pills and then around 6:30 p.m. gave her previcox, should I go ahead and give her another 2 tramadol? she seems to be in a lot of pain
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I gave her 2 tramadol this morn and a previcox tonight at 6:30 but she seems to be in a lot of pain, should I give her another 2 tramadol? also the new dr prescribed gabapentin, is it better for pain or safer than the tramadol?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hello? I did pay you but still need the other reply answered please

I'm sorry, the chat session got interrupted. You CAN give her another dose of tramadol tonight. It can be given at the same time as the previcox if needed (but I am just speaking of the future, she does not get another previcox dose tonight). The two do not interact together. Gabapentin is another purely pain medication. It isn't really understood as far as its pain relief properties. It can potentially be used along with the other two meds and it is used once daily. I have not used it.

If your pup is not improving with pain, she should be re-evaluated.

I hope this helps you and I hope your dog is feeling better soon.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX taken to the vet today and since she has been limping for about 3 weeks now, (getting worse every day) they did an x ray and said its either bone cancer or valley fever,, she has been breathing very hard for months now, and I wondered if that was a sign of valley fever, she is 12 so I guess I should be expecting all of this but just want to be sure not to over dose her

I am sorry to hear that. Did they check a chest xray to look for any spread of cancer to the lungs? The tramadol may cause some of the breathing changes now, but I would be concerned about the breahting changes that were occuring before this.

I hope that you can get some pain relief to her tonight. Bone cancer is notoriously painful. I wish you the best.

Edited by Dr. Elizabeth Ann on 9/28/2010 at 5:07 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when we first took her about a month ago the dr. showed us on the x ray some white cloudiness in her lungs which she called old dog lungs or a form of copd, whenever she is upright or moving she breathes very hard and loud, also a large lump appeared on her hind end and when the dr. asperated it she said she could only draw blood but when she looked under the microscope she couldn't say for sure she saw any abnormal cells, she still loves to eat and is drinking alot more water than usual, I figured it was from the meds. Her blood work was run and the dr. said everything was great, although they didn't run the valley fever test at the time
Sorry, I was dropped off line. It would be interesting to see what the new x rays would show. Valley Fever is a fungal disease that can cause similar lung changes and can cause boney changes similar to cancer. You would need serology (titers) and possibly bone biopsies to determine which disease is present. It will be difficult to treat either disease, so unfortunately, you have some big decisions to make. Valley fever can be treated with antifungals but can be quite expensive. There are options for the cancer, but ultimately, the long term prognosis is poor with bone cancer regardless of treatment. Ok, I have gotten beyond the scope of the initial question, but I was interested in what the source of the pain was. I wish you the best of luck and strength to make the right decision for your beloved pet. Good night to you. I am sure your veterinarian will help guide you through all the tests and treatments. In the mean time, I hope that the pain is controlled.