Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal veterinary medicine

My dog has a histoma on his head, he is on antibotics and I

My dog has a histoma on his head, he is on antibotics and I am using cortozone cream. It does not bother him much. The vet called and wants to remove it, do a biopsy asap. I have read online that they tend to go away after 4-6 weeks. Is it reasonable to take the wait and see approach vs. taking action immediately. Inital visit cost $366 with fluid taken from the site to be analized, antibiotics, and a shot of benedryl. The vet states the charges for the removal are $600 plus $180 for biopsy. Please advise
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. If this lesion on his head is truly a histiocytoma, they go away on their own on that month of time typically. But, is this something more? Removal and histopathology is the way to determine this. So options are to wait and see if it goes away or remove it to know exactly that it is one and not something else.